Woodworking Talk banner

Ceder "Outside" Bar Top Finish

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  HowardAcheson 
#1 ·
I have been building a new top for my outside Bar and need some information on sealing the cracks. It was put together quickly and due to the friends I have :cursing: there are some space between the boards.

My questions are..
1 Can I stain cedar and then fill the gaps with a clear silicone to keep the water from pouring down to what's under the bar?

2 Once it's stained should I put some kind of lacker/Poly over it?

I live on the coast of Maine where we get some snow and other bad moister, I just want it to last and not get too much water seeping to the under bar.

Thanks for any help/Infomation:icon_confused:

#2 ·
The gaps on your glue joints are just going to get bigger. I would recommend cutting them apart and re-doing them. You don't want to use lacquer or polyurethane for an exterior finish. For a protective coating a spar varnish would be better. Depending on how deep pockets you have you might look for a marine grade sprar varnish. I would recommend Epifanes spar varnish. Look for it at places that sell boat supplies.

You sure don't want to put silicone on anything and then try to put a finish over it. Anytime silicone is used it it the last step. I just don't know of any finish that will adhere to clear silicone caulk.

#5 · (Edited)
Or you can use a Marine grade Epoxy which is waterproof as a finish and that will also fill the voids in the top. .......
Marine grade epoxy finishes are very durable. I haven't used any clear coat for a while but the last time I did, I remember it didn't have any UV protection and would start chalking. I remember West Systems Epoxy required a coat or two of varnish over for UV protection. Things may have changed in our modern advancing world. When I work offshore on the oil rigs, we have to top coat the epoxy paints with a 2 part urethane finish to prevent chalking.
I think the pour-on type finishes don't require any top coating but I don't like the 'look' of that stuff.

#6 ·
>>>> you can use a Marine grade Epoxy which is waterproof as a finish

Not a good idea, epoxy resin does not stand up well to the UV from sunlight. With long term exposure to the UV in sunlight. epoxy will quickly become cloudy then begin to crack and peel. That's the reason that epoxy wood coating on boats are over coated with a good non-poly exterior marine varnish or are painted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.