Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a project from ERC lumber I cut in 11/??/2011....Yeah from log to finish is a LLLOOONNNGGG trip!!! LOL!!

Here's a few of the details: the sides are bookmatched 6/4 crotches (all 4 from same log), ( would that be a double bookmatched pair??),

Wood
the rockers are bookmatched 8/4,

Wood Plywood
the seat 6/4 and the back 5/4. I attempted to do most with live edges and the ONLY glue up is the seats.

Table Wood Furniture Plywood Wood stain
This was a challenging project by several factors....my first rocking chairs....NOTHING square to work from...and it had to be ONE of a kinds!!!

The crotches are mortised into the rockers and with draw pinned using tulip poplar hand shaped pegs.

Cutting board Plant Food
The cross pieces are pocketed and glued into the sides and held by HD kreg screws through the face into them. The seat and back are "floating". I only pocket screwed ( I know...I know...please don't hang me!!!) the front part of the arm rest due to the cedar's crotch was tight grown..(.meaning it has trash in it and is weak)and having a drying check crack and also pocketed the seat. I did not put a finish on them, the client is to do that in this situation.

Furniture Rocking chair Chair Wood Table

O.K. Lola....lay it on me....I told you it'd be different!!!LOL!!.

Reactions: Travico

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I forgot to mention they are 4" wider inside than a standard rocker, the heavy parts visually absorb the extra width.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Love them!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Those are great!!

I have a question, how did you decide on where to place the bottom curved pieces in relation to the chair itself? I'm asking as I make adirondack chairs and I would like to build a rocking version but I have no idea how to determine where to attach the curved base runners.

Mark

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
that is a work of art

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Burb...that's where all the fun begins.....now where did I put that pattern....OH it won't work here on this!!!! Actually I'm still figuring on what is correct ...or not!!!???!! just for my taste/style.

What I found out is there are MANY rocker styles and seat angles that come into play (sewing, relaxing, front porch, nursing/breast feeding, childs, arm, armless, etc., etc.). BUT the simpliest way in your case (I think) is to cut (2) rockers from 3/4" plywood at the arc/h that you enjoy (leave alot of depth above it to adjust and play with)...the longer the arc/radius the slower it rocks and the shorter radius the quicker. I measured ones from 28" to 42" radius's and lengths 28"to 36"....now clamp them to a chair and start adjusting...PLEASE understand, I'm NOT being a smart ellic about this....everyone has a sweet spot in a chair/rocker that fits him/ his clientel ...YOU have to adjust to your seat's need... the adirondacks lay way back to seat ratio and wouldn't even meet the angles I use.

I hope this helps,. It's been a long crazy day/night if anythings worded wrong I apologize and will correct.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the compliments!!!

Weight...Hhhmmmm...ONE good strong back!!!( or weak mind....both would help!!) LOL!! about 100-125 lbs....not exactly fun to move by oneself BUT can be done!!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Tim, thanks for the reply. Most of it actually makes sense, though that could be cause I'm woe out with a headache...

[quote="Tennessee Tim] I measured ones from 28" to 42" radius's and lengths 28"to 36".[/quote]

Next question: how do you do this? I mean do I just cut a rectangle that is X long and Y wide. Then put a curve on the top & bottom? I guess a good length would be 10-12" longer the the length of my chair stance.

Mark

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes....that reads correct LOL. Actually you probably won't be much longer due to the amount they lay back in their original stance.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few more pics...always remember...it ALL starts with an idea!!!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts