Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a question....I got some aromatic cedar T&G planks I got from HD last year. They are in the box never opened in the house. I opened them today to start building my cedar closet but I realised that the planks have some shinny dust looking poweder on them. Looks like some kind of crystal powder very shiny like salk or something. I am completely clueless what it is. I hope is not mold. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Nam100z said:
Hi all! I have a question....I got some aromatic cedar T&G planks I got from HD last year. They are in the box never opened in the house. I opened them today to start building my cedar closet but I realised that the planks have some shinny dust looking poweder on them. Looks like some kind of crystal powder very shiny like salk or something. I am completely clueless what it is. I hope is not mold. Any help would be appreciated.
My guess, due to NO pictures is mold. They were not kiln dried for obvious reasons and were probably wet. Fear not. Mold is not the monster it has been made out to be and careful cleaning will be all that's needed. Cleaning may be all that's needed for what ever it is. I would also give it a light sanding to cut through some of the dried wood to bring back the "smell".

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Maybe is oil from the cedar wood that crystallized over time? It really looks like shredded glass or salt deposits.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Nam100z said:
Thanks. Maybe is oil from the cedar wood that crystallized over time? It really looks like shredded glass or salt deposits.
Sounds more right than mold.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Of all the woods that we can play with, cedar is the last one to go moldy.
Centuries of cedar chests back this up, yes?
The wood might sweat some resin. Wipe it off and keep moving.

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Of all the woods that we can play with, cedar is the last one to go moldy.
Centuries of cedar chests back this up, yes?
The wood might sweat some resin. Wipe it off and keep moving.
+1 :yes: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had the same issue with some of my cedar. If it like salt or sugar type crystals then it is sap that has leached from the cedar and dried. Just scrap or sand lightly and you'll be OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts