Woodworking Talk banner

cedar lined bathroom

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Steve Neul 
#1 ·
I did my bathroom with cedar and would like to stain/seal the boards....should I have done this prior to putting it up or is there something I can use indoors. Just want the natural wood look. Thanks

#2 ·
Depending on how you are equipped you can use any finish indoors. Assuming you don't have the means of spraying and the wood is finished natural without stain you could brush a water based polyurethane. The oil based poly is flamable but more important it will yellow as it ages. If you have the means of spraying you could use the water based poly or a cab-acrylic lacquer. With the lacquer it is recommended that you first seal the wood with a vinyl sealer and get the surface smooth sanding between coats and then topcoat with the lacquer. The lacquer finish is highly flamable so the spray fumes has the potential of being explosive. I normally put a spray booth fan in an exterior door or window to vacate the fumes. Depending on the direction of the wind you could open a nearby window and put window fans in the other end of the house blowing in to create a airflow to the outdoors. The overspray with the exception of the immediate area is just dry dust. The finish dries so fast that nothing will settle on other items in the house wet enough to stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.