Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on a little garden bench for my patio in the backyard - finally had some time Sunday to devote to it - hoping to finish it this weekend (4 day weekend!!) - only have the seat and the arms left to attach.

Started with a pile of cedar - Spanish and western. Progress was slow at first - built the base and it sat for a few weeks.

Bench 1.jpg

Had most of the day Sunday to work on it - the majority of the time was cutting the back slats and lining them up then screwing them to the back support. Nothing fancy going on here but she feels real sturdy. Can't wait to finish it up then sit down and take a load off!

bench.jpg

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Nice looking. Did you change the design of the legs? They appear tapered in the first photo and straight in the second or am I confused?
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
TomC said:
Nice looking. Did you change the design of the legs? They appear tapered in the first photo and straight in the second or am I confused?
Tom
Never mind I now see that's the back. Sorry!
Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for their comments!

I put the "floorboards" and arm rests on it - still have some sanding/shaping to do on a few parts but it's all assembled and actually pretty comfortable - although I may see if my wife will make some custom seat cushions for it.

I'm leaning towards trying some Australian Timber Oil for the finish - will try some test pieces to see how it looks.

bnch1.jpg

bnch2.jpg

·
Registered
656 Posts
It looks great and sturdy. Great design, like the curved back and legs. I'm sure it will last long and be enjoyed in the patio. Great job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts