Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a special way I should finish a cedar chest I have just striped and sanded the old finish off of for a client ? Was thinking I wold just use a satin polyurethane.

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Is there a special way I should finish a cedar chest I have just striped and sanded the old finish off of for a client ? Was thinking I wold just use a satin polyurethane.
Satin Polyurethane is fine. If it were mine I would use Clear Gloss Polyurethane. It has a shiney finish and I like that. But that's just me.:yes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info, I was concerned about the finish because of the finish I had to remove was a lot of work ,and just thought there was a reaction to the finish because it was cedar.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Depending on the specific sub-species of cedar, an oil based finish may not dry properly. To be safe, you should apply a coat of dewaxed shellac before applying an oil based finish.

Also, a big warning: Do not apply any oil based finish on the inside of the chest. There are two reasons for this. You will mask the generally pleasing cedar odor and the poly odor with remain forever. If you want the cedar odor, apply no finish on the inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts