Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister-in-law asked me to make a couple of Adirondack chairs her husband as a Christmas present this year. She paid me for the materials. Since yesterday was a fairly nice day, I took it off to get these done while I had the time. Picked up full dimension rough cut lumber at the local lumber store. All side or areas which are expected to come into contact with the user have been thoroughly sanded. The other areas are still rough for the rustic look. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I've built about 8 or so of these since last year and I've decided I will only build them using this rough cut lumber.

Down the road I'd like to adapt a way for my faster era to be from the underside for weather durability. And my wife suggested a cutout in one arm for a beverage of choice. I could make a two loops with SS wire crossed and secure them with a screw/ washer to support it. Anybody have any other ideas on a good way to support a can?

Mark

Attachments

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adirondack chairs....In Missouri.....LOL. That's a staple in my neck of the woods. They look great!!
I grew up in Upstate NY and have fond memories of spending many days on my grandparents dairy farm there. These chairs remind me of the green and white sets that were always in the yard at the farm. Great memories, which is why I'm fond of them.

Nice and I like the ASSEMBLY LINE type build that they can be done in.
Agreed. When making multiple chairs at once, this seems like the best method for me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I grew up in Upstate NY and have fond memories of spending many days on my grandparents dairy farm there. These chairs remind me of the green and white sets that were always in the yard at the farm. Great memories, which is why I'm fond of them.

Agreed. When making multiple chairs at once, this seems like the best method for me.

Where in upstate? I'm on the Canadian border in the Thousand Islands.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FishFactory said:
Where in upstate? I'm on the Canadian border in the Thousand Islands.
I'm from just outside of Cortland. My grandparents lived about 10 miles away in Marathon, which is home of the NYS Maple Festival.

Dominick said:
Where did you get the patterns for them?
My wife's uncle had a pair of chairs and one was rotting away so he gave it too me. I disassembled it and made a template using 1/4" plywood. It works very well, though I plan to remake the template with 1/4" hardboard.

SandburRanch said:
One of my sons builds poker tables and purchases drink cup holders of either plastic or stainless steel. They may work for you.
That might be a good option. Thanks. I could drill extra holes in the bottom to keep them from filling with water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts