Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I doubt there will be much difference in the 2 grits. I am currently doing some sharpening on a 320 grit sanding belt to try and learn the differences in finer grits. yes it does produce a more polished edge. The quality of cut is marginally different and would be even less so if your turning skills aren't very good.
I believe (but it's still kind of hard to tell) that a more polished edge holds an edge longer. That's kind of subjective but I've been using the finer belt on my spindle roughing gouge which takes a lot of abuse and it sure seems to improve the edge life. However it's a subtle thing and I sure have'nt done any kind of scientific test.
I can't talk about the difference in quality between the 2 brands. D way has of course been out longer and has a good reputation. The other wheel has only been out a fairly short time but I haven't heard of any quality issues. As for which is better I have no way of knowing. I am drooling over the 320 grit wheel that woodturning wonders had at the Georgia symposium but they didn't know when it might be out for sale.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quickstep said:
Here you go John! http://woodturnerswonders.com/products/cbn-wheel-4-in-1-design-350-grit In checking on this, I noticed that Woodturners Wonders now also offers the 4-in-one wheel. Aargh! Now I have yet another variable to consider. Is the flat edge on the side of the wheel worth having? Does anyone use the sides of their stone wheels?
Thanks for the link (even though it was meant for John). My only beef with the DWay 180 grit radiased wheel is that, although I love it for gouges, it is too aggressive when sharpening my tiny hollowing tips on the corners of the wheel. I had no idea there was a 350 grit wheel! I'll give a review as soon as it gets here! :)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
when I need to sharpen my small tools (and believe me I have some seriously small tools) I turn the grinder off and let the wheel slow down. When it gets to the speed I think will work I grind the tools. Works great this way and actually works better with the CBN because it's so heavy it will hold it's speed longer. With my older grinding wheels I had to sharpen fairly quickly when it reached the right slow speed because the tool against the stone would slow it down rapidly. Not so much with the CBN

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I was hoping to tease out some more opinions on the preferences for D-Way versus Woodturners wonders. Any opinions to be had?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I hope someone can answer you. However CBN wheels are relatively new for woodturners so there aren't that many out there and there many not be anyone who owns more than one brand. Since they have a very long life I don't know anyone who has worn one out yet. I will probably buy one of the 350 grit wheels but I don't think that will be a fair comparison with my 180 wheel until about 5 years from now when they start to wear.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quickstep said:
I was hoping to tease out some more opinions on the preferences for D-Way versus Woodturners wonders. Any opinions to be had?
Well, I ordered the 350 late night on 11/2. It arrived today, 11/5. Impressive turn around. I now have the DWay 180 and the woodturners Wonders 350 running side by side. The first thing that jumped out was how dead smooth it runs now with 2 CBNs. I mean NO detectable vibration. I'm sure there's a break in period before I'll get a true picture of how they compare so I'll try to remember to follow up in a few weeks. I don't think you are in my neck of the woods or I'd invite you to try them out.

Yes I realize that it was an unnecessary purchase, my wife pointed that out very clearly. I'm not even a tool junky but sharpening is one area where I don't mind spending some money and effort because I always feel like it pays off. I'll let you know if this buy follows suit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Affordable CBN Wheels

If you go to http://woodturnerswonders.com you can buy two wheels for what the competition sells one for. There is even Unique profile wheels that no one else has that will do 4 types of sharpening and they are still priced lower than anyone else and have a lifetime warranty. If you never sharpened your tools with a CBN wheel before you will be amazed and now they are affordable.

Recent Testimonial:

In a Word! Wow!
As promised, they are super!
I sharpened every tool I owned.
They have never been as sharp.
Was able to produce a very smooth cut.
Riding the bevel is a breeze.

I will gladly recommend these wheels and your service.
feel free to give them this email address. [email protected]
You can quote me!
Thanks again.
Bob Atchison
(reprinted with permission)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts