Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not posted for awhile but I wanted to post this in case someone else has this issue.

Four weeks ago, I had quadruple bypass surgery and while I am now recovering and even working again the shock of this was intense. I write this because the symptoms I had were nothing more than a pain in my throat. No pain in the arm or chest pains. I work out of my home building furniture and doing art and I am relatively healthy, 52 years old not overweight, so this indeed caught me by surprise.

I really thought I was going to have a completely different diagnosis when I went into the doctor's office. I went in July 6th for a stress test , was taken by ambulance to the hospital where I was given a cardio cath test which revealed the blockages. (That was the hardest part of all this, having to call my wife and tell her that news. ) Still I was more shocked when I awoke after the surgery to hear that I had a quadruple bypass. You can not imagine how hearing that makes you feel.

I am not sure if anyone else has symptoms like this but please do not disregard them. I was lucky(very lucky) and today one month after surgery, I was able to go down into the basement and turn on the table saw. Sorry for the long post but I hope this is helpful. Ken

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. As someone who has battled health issues for the last 5+ years now I can fully understand how these things can sneak up on a person. I've had 2 strokes in that time and both of them did not show any of the classic symptoms. I've also been diagnosed with diabetes and a heart condition. Again, none of the classic warning signs. Went to bed one night perfectly healthy, woke up next day not so healthy. When this last stroke hit me 2 or 3 years ago I was told that I was lucky to have woken up at all.

Speaking as a guy who avoided the doctor like the plague, as we get older we really do need to pay more attention to our health. Even if that means going to the Doctor more often.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's very helpful, Ken and thanks for posting it! Glad that you are doing better :smile:

You are very right, many times heart attacks do not have the common warning symptoms and believe it or not the signs are often very different in women as well. Sometimes for them its extreme fatigue and backache - sounds like the flu!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very good post, Ken...glad you are doing better....I have been tested numerous time for heart trouble, and fortunately, Cardiology always says my heart is in great shape....what I do have, is lung problems....in 2009, my lung capacity was 36%.....time for another test, and don't even want to know the results.......we all need to pay more attention to what I bodies tell us......

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and I hope all of you get healthier. I am amazed at how some of these health issues creep up. For the most part we all work by ourselves and the issue of thinking of going to a doctor usually get placed low on the priority list.
For me I thought my issue was going to be a throat related so I was stunned when it was diagnosed as a quadruple bypass. Completely missed the warning signs since the carotid artery is one of the signs...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I had a friend who's son had a major heart attach. He had a pain in his jaw prior to the attack. I did not know that was a warning sign but found out it was.
At age 55 I started going for an annual physical. That is usually the only time I see my medical doctor and I hope to keep it that way.
Tom

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ken, I'm glad you are doing better. Best of health to everyone.

But because I am the way I am, and because I know some things about this that might help others, I'm going to share the following. And I don't expect it to be popular with everyone here. In fact I know from experience it's going to piss some of you off.

First, a mea cupla. I'm overweight. Not morbidly obese, but I am fat, and I know exactly how I got this way. My blood pressure and cholesterol are under control, and I have passed cardiac stress tests with flying colors. But I'm asking for trouble in the long run. That said...

We MUST stop looking to the medical system as the way to prevent disease and the way to get healthy. Sure, go the to doctor for yearly checkups and follow prescribed treatments. But look in the mirror every day as well.

- stop smoking (I never consumed tobacco, and quit the other things in the 1970s)
- cut back on animal and milk products (I've been vegan for about 18 months and it's been great. But you can just cut back to 2-3 times/wk.)
- avoid processed foods of any kind as much as is practical
- start exercising (this is where I have the most work to do)

I know, I know. Someone is going to tell me they know people who did all those things and lived to be 600 years old, and they know people who were health fanatics and keeled over dead at age 27. But these are statistical outliers. They are exceptions. Population health statistics and trends don't lie.

Did you know that up to a point Type 2 diabetes is actually reversible with a plant-based diet that lacks sugar and other processed foods? Clinical trials have proven it, but the U.S. medical system will not promote that information because they don't think the American public will be receptive, and because they can't turn a buck if people start preventing their own disease.

But that's the way we are. I know I have those tendancies. I'd rather go to the doctor and get a pill than live a healthy lifestyle and avoid the doctor altogether (except for regular checkups.)

Oh well. Getting off the soap box now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I am not going to judge people or paint with a broad brush because I am not sure that matters and I do not have the knowledge of a doctor. I can only tell you how this was for me, how it effected me and please do not disregard it if it happens to you.

Five years ago I had the same symptoms in my throat and went to the doctors for a stress test. I passed with flying colors and the doctor said my arteries were clear. I continued having the same pain in my throat and when it happened again, I thought to myself "My arteries are clear..." We tried every test for everything from Gurd to IBS.
In mid June of this year the pain got worse and after my friend passed away I thought the increased pain was stress related but I went to a doctor...again.

Now in the span of four hours I was rushed to a hospital being told I need bypass surgery. I lie there in the empty room waiting to make a phone call and tell my wife this news. I do not wish that feeling on anyone.

Still I was lucky and I had a great doctor and several amazing nurses. My doctor said had I smoked or drank heavily I would be in worse shape and my recovery would drag on. My recovery has been fast and 28 days after surgery I am painting on a ladder and building furniture. Had I waited till later to get this looked at, none of that would have happened and that is what is on my mind these days.

I am sooo going to enjoy the fact I cut this dado cut on the wrong side of the panel...

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
I teach a sport that has a high incidence of deaths. In 2009, we had 27 Scuba related deaths. All but one was over fifty. I jokingly tell my students when they make a mistake that it's a sure sign of being alive and that they'll stop making those mistakes when they die. I hope to make a lot more mistakes before I go.

I am sooo going to enjoy the fact I cut this dado cut on the wrong side of the panel...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, when I was working ER I had plenty people come thru saying they didn't think it can happen to them. In my opinion there are about 3 things you to keep yourself alive- keep your blood pressure under control, regular colonoscopies, keep your cholesterol under control, and if diabetic keep your blood sugar under control.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Shop prayer sent.best wishes.

Sort of back on the competitive archery trail here.Had to make some decisions regarding health and stamina.Started working heavy construction again for general fitness and brain functions(figuring out problems).Also started,what I call,"practicing heart attacks".

Technically I guess its an extreme cardio vascular "workout".......another name we call it is,"log wrestling".It's about cleaning up huge trees,cutting them up for firewood....due to bigtime storm damage down in woods.It involves working in 90+ degree heat,very high humidity.Work until you almost collapse due to complete exhaustion.Very dangerous,not recomending this to anyone.Usually shoot for about 3 heart attacks,then call it a day.

Point is,you are what you practice,and you are what you eat.I was somewhat shocked,while looking at the food side of conditioning,how prevalent diabetes has become.And the implications of how bad the typical or average persons diet is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts