Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while I was picking up some Hickory & cherry I noticed the guy had some catalpa wood 1x7 1/2 x8 (had to ask what kind it was, I've never seen it) and some locust about the same size. after loading up some of the hickory an cherry he said here ya can have this and threw the catalpa in the jeep. what can I do with the Catalpa and Locust. (he said he made cabinets out of both. he used locust for his bathroom, he said he had 4 women in the house so he needed something that will take a lot of humidity..:icon_smile:)I've seen bowls made from the Catalpa, but I'm not into making anything like that yet. both have nice grain. I like the look of locust when we used it for firewood, minus it being like trying to cut a cinder block. Got the hickory for $1.00 a bd ft already dried for 3 years as I'm a newbie I'm not sure if I got a good deal or not, but from what I've seen on the internet for sale it seemed good to me. if the ends were split or something, he would only charge me for the wood that was good. thought that was decent on him.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm a new guy and don't know if I got a good deal or not. All I can say is you suck and show us some pictures.

I made my workbench out of locust and its some heavy stuff:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, decided to use some of the catalpa for the lid on the hope chest. from what I've read it's a soft hard wood (if that makes sense). supposed to be rot and insect resistant and durable. the outside frame will be Catalpa and hickory center. the Catalpa is a lot lighter than the beech and hickory I've been using so the lid won't way a ton. I must say the catalpa has been nice to work with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts