Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between Ken's and Levi's tutorials, and not to mention many others who have made some interesting picture frames, I figured it was my turn. I won't bother you with all the steps, I basically copied Ken's process with an inlaid contrasting wood, with a few exceptions.

I have a lot of scraps that make good fire wood but it is very painful to watch it burn, so here is the first frame I built out of some poplar and walnut, (I've made dozens of barnwood frames but with those you can get away with some rough work).

This one has glass but my wife, who is a professional photographer, despises glass on a photograph. She has her work laminated and never has glass in front of it. This was an old picture and I told her it isn't her's so I'm putting glass on it, :laughing:.

The picture is of my late father out at his cabin in Saskatchewan. He would be happy to be hanging out here in my shop so he gets framed in my first frame. He loved his shop too.

It's coated with three brush coats of oil based satin Varathane.

I made it out of poplar and walnut. I have a lot of maple but I was curious how the poplar would look with the green hues. Its not bad but I think I'll like the maple better.

Like I said, I followed Ken's instructions except I use the flexible points to hold things in plus I use a keyhole router bit for hangers. I also use a router bit with a bearing to cut the rabbet after the frame is assembled.

I also made a 5"x10" for a picture of a bunch of vintage trailer friends we met up with last year, I'm waiting for the print. On this one I rounded over the inside and outside edges and made the splines a lot thicker; I think I like the thin ones better though.

Now I am working on a miter sled for the table saw so I can make a bunch of frames for my wife to sell with her photography; she sells my barnwood frames so she wants a few hardwood frames to offer as well. I usually use my miter saw but it sure doesn't take much to cause frustration with that.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Very nice indeed. :thumbsup: I make all my miter cuts on the SCMS and as long as I use a stop block for lengths and blue tape at the cut line to prevent chip out I get perfect results.

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
sweet!!!!!!!!!1 love them!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, its fun to finally make something that I don't "have to".

I finished my miter sled so I'll try that out on the next ones. My old Makita miter saw cuts dead on 45 degrees but I need to tweek the vertical a little bit, its a little off 90 degrees when I swing it left. Anyway, it gave me an excuse to make the sled, I'll post a pic of it later.

I have to figure out a clean way of finishing them, even though I did the poly in the house there was still a few specs of dust settlement. Not too bad, but if my wife wants to offer them to her clients they need to be perfect.

Johnnie52, thanks for the tip on using tape to reduce the chipping, I'll try that on the next ones.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made a few more frames with walnut and maple this time, its good practice for detailed miters. I really like how these turned out, I might use them for something in my office at work. I realize that this is a lot of pics for a few simple frames but here you go anyway, :eek:.

I really like the wipe on poly, the shot above is just after the first couple of coats but I put on about 6 coats and it is really nice.

I have a couple more frames in the shop waiting for sanding.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Those turned out very nice. Great work.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Great job- those all look very nice. I need to start working with Walnut!
I love its look as well and enjoy working with it, which is nice since its everywhere here in SW Missouri.

The downside to me is a have developed reactions to its dust when it gets on my skin. I just need to wear approriate PPE and long sleeve shirts and its fine though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The frames look great. I really like the splines you put in. I have made a bunch of frames, but have never done splines, i think its time to stat.
Nick

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments.

I like the walnut too, it is a fairly soft wood so it is easy to work with. And it just "pops" when you wipe on the finish.

That's interesting Burb that you developed a reaction to the dust, that isn't nice at all.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Great job Carvel, man building the kitchen cabinets unleashed the woodworking beast in you. The picture frames are nice. I'll send you a picture of me and you can put it in one of those frames and hang it on your wall------------ to keep the mice away.LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts