Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,495 Posts
welcome to the forum - what part of the world are you in ?
are you just interested in the technique or do you want to replicate the design in your project ?

·
Registered
28,481 Posts
I'm sure that was done with some kind of CNC but I'm not into that. It could be done with a woodcarvers gouge. You might use one with a #8 sweeps, about 18 to 20mm. For one project you might see if you can find someone to do it for you. If you are not used to sharpening chisels, by the time you get the stones and learn how to sharpen them someone else could be done with it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The lighting is really bad, plus the reflections off the varnish.
My first and only guess is that this is a "textured" surface, done with a carvers finishing elbow adze.
The cuts are even and they are in rows, a design choice in the big carvings of the Pacific Northwest First nations work.
Who ever did this is old and very experienced.

Kestrel makes very useful tools for this. To which you should add 30 years of daily practice.
Kestrel Tool

I think a good carver could do this with about a 5/35 and a 30 oz lead-core mallet.
I couldn't fake this after 20 years of trying.

·
Registered
28,481 Posts
The lighting is really bad, plus the reflections off the varnish.
My first and only guess is that this is a "textured" surface, done with a carvers finishing elbow adze.
The cuts are even and they are in rows, a design choice in the big carvings of the Pacific Northwest First nations work.
Who ever did this is old and very experienced.

Kestrel makes very useful tools for this. To which you should add 30 years of daily practice.
Kestrel Tool

I think a good carver could do this with about a 5/35 and a 30 oz lead-core mallet.
I couldn't fake this after 20 years of trying.
I think if you had a properly sharpened chisel you could master that in 20 minutes. It's a lot easier than it looks. With a sharp chisel you wouldn't need a mallet for that, you could make light shaves by hand. The hard part of carving is to make a recognizable shape or to make the background smooth like it was done with a plane.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,495 Posts
if you really wanted to pursue this, I would invest in a quality Flex-Shaft and some quality carving burrs that will leave a very smooth cut in hardwood. Please share with us your realistic project: What size, how many, yada yada yada. A full kitchen cabinet project or just a simple picture frame ??
Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Cable Audio equipment Gas

Auto part Wood Metal Fashion accessory Nickel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you really wanted to pursue this, I would invest in a quality Flex-Shaft and some quality carving burrs that will leave a very smooth cut in hardwood. Please share with us your realistic project: What size, how many, yada yada yada. A full kitchen cabinet project or just a simple picture frame ??
View attachment 439036
View attachment 439037
John,

I am doing a 3” thick table top 32” wide x 8’ long. I am only planning to carve the edges. Of the top and perhaps the edges of the legs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts