Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like to start out by saying this is my fault. I went off the hype and didn't read the specs but sakes alive I learned my lesson the hard way. First the good stuff. They have high quality steel to be sure. It comes polished sharp and holds an edge. I like it. But they REALLY and I mean REALLY skimp on the steel both in width and in length of the flute. The difference between a Thompson and a Glenn Lucas' are both over an inch on the 1/2 inch bowl gouge which to me is just bad especially with what youre paying for it same goes with the 3/8ths inch spindle gouge. The difference is probably an inch and a half in length. A Glenn Lucas' tool is also m42 and just gives you much more tool and at a cheaper price.just figured I'd throw a few thoughts in here. Happy turning all!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Carter and sons warning
Carter and sons warning ???? the Carter and Sons appears to be the longest overall and longest flute length.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Circle

Thompson Tools does not indicate the shank or flute length, but has this to say on their steel content; CPM10V (A-11) a powder metal manufactured by Crucible Materials Corporations with 10% vanadium content
Musical instrument Piano Keyboard Product Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one you have listed for the Hamlet is the finisher bowl gouge and yes it is shorter than both the ones I have listed are correct. I know this because they are sitting right in front of me

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The difference between a Thompson and a Glenn Lucas' are both over an inch on the 1/2 inch bowl gouge which to me is just bad especially with what youre paying for it same goes with the 3/8ths inch spindle gouge. The difference is probably an inch and a half in length.
Which product part/model numbers do you have listed? I missed that part of your statement.

Your title says Carter and Sons, yet the body of your post says ""the difference between a Thompson and a Glen Lucas"

·
Super Moderator
5,255 Posts
I don’t buy lathe tools based on the length of the tool. Diameters of bowl gouges differ in the way they are measured in America and the UK, but the actual size can be determined before buying. I have cheap turning tools from when I first started in 2005 that are still plenty long. If you are sharpening properly you’re not taking much metal off. Preference for me are Thompson tools, stay sharper longer and I happen to know Doug personally, his shop is about a half hour from my house. Carter makes good products, I have some of their bandsaw add ons and like them.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
870 Posts
The two turners I know, who could be described as full time occupational turners both tell me that their Carter tools go much longer between sharpening than other makes they have tried. If I get more turning per inch of tool, I am better off. Just a different way of looking at the same issue I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts