Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined yesterday and thought I would show some of my work.

The first truck I did for my Grandson, a 20s C-cab.
followed by an F1 pickup.
Next was the boat that my grand-daughter wanted.
After that came a couple of '35 Chevy pickups.
Followed shortly by my old army truck that I drove in Vietnam, an M37 3/4 ton.
Then I decided to branch out and built a model patterned off of a '27 Pontiac roadster (I'm a serious Pontiac guy).
Can't have a roadster without a matching coupe so.......

. IMGP2493.JPG IMGP2495.JPG IMGP2564.JPG IMGP2594.JPG IMGP2661.JPG IMGP2668.JPG

I started using left-over scraps of lumber that I had laying around but soon moved to hardwoods mainly maple, hickory, oak, yellow birch and black walnut.
IMGP2499.JPG

IMGP2489.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm new at posting pics here so I guess I screwed up a bit. My bad, I won't do it again!
As you can see each one gets more detailed than the one before.
Right now I'm working on another '35 pick-up with a more detailed cab with seat and steering wheel. That one is going to charity auction. That will be the fourth one going to charity. Three have been gifted. The rest are on a shelf in the garage and are used as patterns. The M37 isn't going anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,542 Posts
awesome craftsmanship, Hank !!
well done.

you can "edit" your posts by selecting the three dots beside your avatar photo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of the shaping is done with band-saw, disc sander and stationary belt sander. I keep the kindling box full of discarded fenders.

·
Registered
Termite
4,515 Posts
Nice work. My mom worked for Playschool over 20 years. She ran a bandsaw making small wooden toys. It's also how she lost most of her hearing. Be careful, protect yourself..

I imagine the bandsaws between the 50-70's screamed a little louder back then..

·
Super Moderator
5,220 Posts
You do beautiful work, that has got to be fun. This is something I want to try one day soon. By the way, since you love Pontiacs and you screen name is Firebird. Have you ever owned a Formula Firebird? I had a 1970 Formula Firebird 400, loved that car. Mine was like the one below only it was white with the word Formula on the quarter panel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually own a '69 Formula 350. Long story and FYI they never made one. I did own a '70 F-body but it was a Z/28. Great car, loved it but moved on.
Years back there was a '70 Formula 400 4-speed car just down the road that seemed to be abandoned. If I would have had room for it I would have (should have) looked into it but didn't' Then one day it was gone.
IMGP1245.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,220 Posts
I actually own a '69 Formula 350. Long story and FYI they never made one. I did own a '70 F-body but it was a Z/28. Great car, loved it but moved on.
Years back there was a '70 Formula 400 4-speed car just down the road that seemed to be abandoned. If I would have had room for it I would have (should have) looked into it but didn't' Then one day it was gone. View attachment 423256
Have you checked what these cars are worth now days?

·
Registered
Termite
4,515 Posts
You do beautiful work, that has got to be fun. This is something I want to try one day soon. By the way, since you love Pontiacs and you screen name is Firebird. Have you ever owned a Formula Firebird? I had a 1970 Formula Firebird 400, loved that car. Mine was like the one below only it was white with the word Formula on the quarter panel.
View attachment 423246
My cousin has a 1978 Pontiac Firebird. All original bought new in high school
.deep red velour inside white outside. 150k mileage. Motor has never seen a wrench other than typical maintenance. It is the only year I know of that Pontiac put a 350 Chevy motor in a pontiac..

·
Super Moderator
5,220 Posts
oh you silly car guys 😂 😂 😂

View attachment 423267
Whoooo mama, that is nice. I have had many Chevys and a few Fords and even Mopar trucks. My favorite truck was my 1970 Chevy Step Side with a 327 300hp engine. It had the #1 vet grind cam, double hump injector heads. Some of my earlier 327s had the pop up pistons and all the goodies. I loved the 327 and 427 engines, they were just about bullet proof.

Reb, I didn't know one of the Firebirds had a Chevy engine. Did you know the best engine and most powerful engine was the Studebaker. The the old 270 engine had 374 hp, the only engine back then stronger was the Hemi but even it wasn't built as beefy as the Studebaker. So much for the history lesson. lol

I am a car/truck nut from way back, I was an old 1960s mechanic.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
There were two students who worked for me at a company. They always displayed various large posters of Firebird Trans Ams above their desks. When they graduated about a year after they joined our team, they got a big pay raise. The next day, they went out together and bought identical black Firebird Trans Ams. They picked up a few speeding tickets soon after that.

Sadly, the cars didn't work out. Both cars were in for warranty repairs more than they were on the road. In less than a year, both were traded in for more reliable transportation.

In case it matters, they were early productions of the mid-1980s model type (the one that followed the Smokey and the Bandit type). Despite being Firebird Trans Ams, I remember that they were rather gutless. I also remember that the air conditioners were nearly worthless in the desert.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There were two students who worked for me at a company. They always displayed various large posters of Firebird Trans Ams above their desks. When they graduated about a year after they joined our team, they got a big pay raise. The next day, they went out together and bought identical black Firebird Trans Ams. They picked up a few speeding tickets soon after that.

Sadly, the cars didn't work out. Both cars were in for warranty repairs more than they were on the road. In less than a year, both were traded in for more reliable transportation.

In case it matters, they were early productions of the mid-1980s model type (the one that followed the Smokey and the Bandit type). Despite being Firebird Trans Ams, I remember that they were rather gutless. I also remember that the air conditioners were nearly worthless in the desert.
Those early third gens were all 'gutless", in fact all early 80s cars were. A friend has a Corvette from that time that proudly displays a badge on the console stating "145 horsepower".

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Those early third gens were all 'gutless", in fact all early 80s cars were. A friend has a Corvette from that time that proudly displays a badge on the console stating "145 horsepower".
smog engines, oh boy... quite the era.
didn't mean to hyjack your thread, until you started posting car pics ;)
i like your models/toys too

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Whoooo mama, that is nice.

I am a car/truck nut from way back, I was an old 1960s mechanic.
i've always owned a 58 or 59 chevy truk since i bought my first 58 from the hs janitor my freshman yr
i've owned this one since 91, in it's current configuration 11 years, all self built/fabricated
in the 60s i was in kinder/grade/middle school 😂

·
Super Moderator
5,220 Posts
Firebird, I apologize for hijacking your thread, I get carried away talking about cars and trucks. I do want to make some models cars and trucks, especially the 29 stake bed truck with side boards. Also the car like John Boy had on the Waltons.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts