Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed carpet from a piece of plywood platform bed that I made. It was stuck to the plywood surface with "Roberts 3095 carpet glue". Once removing the carpet I was able to use Goo gone to get the majority of the adhesive off, but now there remains a very thin layer of the mixture of adhesive and Goo gone. I tried hot soapy water in a small area to try to remove that, but was mostly unsuccessful. I also tried lightly sanding and heavy sanding (orbital).

My next play was to use acetone or rubbing alcohol but did not want to proceed with that before seeking help.

I'm looking for help from someone who has some experience dealing with glue removal from plywood or porous wood.

I need the surface as close to dry and clean as possible so that I can apply a laminate to it with contact cement.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. If there's a better place, please point me in the right direction. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,503 Posts
welcome to the forum, Ant.
how big is the plywood?
have you considered replacing it and starting over with new ?
what will you do with the smelly, sticky plywood when you get it cleaned up ?
can you just turn it over and use the other side ?
I doubt that photos would shed any light on the project, but, would be nice to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wood Table Automotive tail & brake light

Brown Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

Hair Brown Wood Wood stain Flooring

Wood Table Flooring Floor Wood stain

Brown Fluid Art Paint Stain

Brown Table Wood Wood stain Floor

The wood is 40" x 80". It's not the greatest constructive, but it's a already constructed bed platform.

So I definitely would like to not replace the wood itself ( that would be just doing the project from scratch at that point). This project was supposed to act as more of an upgrade from the previous look and feel to a more finish look.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,503 Posts
maybe I'm reading too much into it. I would paint it or spray 3M-77 glue on it and cover it with an old bedsheet, or woodgrain contact paper (shelf liner). I don't mess with "glue problems" for very long. Sorry I don't have a solution for your issue as I have never actually "removed" Robert's carpet adhesive. I just remove the loose stuff and glue new carpet over it. (this is on boats, not inside the house things).
if you really want to do it right, contact Robert's customer service.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
I think the contact cement wont be affected by putting it on top of the existing ply and glue situation. It would take all of 5 minutes to find out by making a test piece and putting the contact cement over it and then a scrap piece of laminate over that. Then get a hypodermic needle and squirt lacquer thinner between the laminate and the ply and remove the laminate and study both surfaces.
Everyone is different, if it were my project I would buy new plywood and start from the beginning all new. You can save the old ply for projects like jigs or shop cabinets.
Oftentimes we spend more money trying to save money.

·
mike44
retired carpenter and farmer
476 Posts
I recently removed carpet from a piece of plywood platform bed that I made. It was stuck to the plywood surface with "Roberts 3095 carpet glue". Once removing the carpet I was able to use Goo gone to get the majority of the adhesive off, but now there remains a very thin layer of the mixture of adhesive and Goo gone. I tried hot soapy water in a small area to try to remove that, but was mostly unsuccessful. I also tried lightly sanding and heavy sanding (orbital).

My next play was to use acetone or rubbing alcohol but did not want to proceed with that before seeking help.

I'm looking for help from someone who has some experience dealing with glue removal from plywood or porous wood.

I need the surface as close to dry and clean as possible so that I can apply a laminate to it with contact cement.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. If there's a better place, please point me in the right direction. Thank you
Get Roberts 8100 carpet glue remover. This will remove the glue without danger from solvents.
I used this product several times and always worked.
mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts