Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone bought carbide blades for their 735?

Is a set of carbide blades going to outlast 8 blade changes of regular dewalt blades?

here's what i'm going with....

Carbide knives...$140....one edge.

Dewalt knives....4 sets from amazon...$140.....two edges each....

I had kind of planned to buy a set of the carbides, but maybe i'm better off just changing knives more often with the stock ones...i've run a few hundred board feet through on the original set before turning them around.......so i'm thinking I need the carbides to last through 2500 bf or so to make it worth while? Is that realistic?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
FWIW, I've tried carbide tipped knives, and for the cost of them find it isn't worth whatever longevity they could provide. In a case of a small nick, or sharpening, they would have to be sent out. Steel blades can be shop dressed. How long knives last understandably last according to how much use and the types of wood surfaced.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Carbide is so much more brittle than HSS that damage from all kinds of stuff is more likely with them than the HSS. It works with inserts because you can rotate them around to get past the nick, but with knives you loose the knife.

·
7,222 Posts
The DeWalt knives do not seem to hold their edge well based on what I have read and my own 735 usage.

Nicks are easy to get. They just happen. As stated earlier carbide is a lot more brittle.

My only comparison of HSS vs carbide is my turning tools. The carbide cutter is not holding up anywhere close to what I was expecting. It lasts longer than HSS edge but not as long as the price multiplier.

I am liking being able to hone my HSS turning tools easily and fast.

I would consider trying the Inifinity knives over the DeWalt, but not the carbide.

http://www.infinitytools.com/HSS-Knives-For-DeWalt-735-Planer/productinfo/HSSK-041/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts