Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making pepper mills and I've noticed that drilling end grain in exotic woods dulls hss Forstner bits quickly. I'm considering getting some high quality bits in just the sizes I use to drill the pepper mills. Should I consider carbide Forstners?

·
7,222 Posts
I drill smaller size first, then larger size to get to the desired final hole diameter.

I would try two or three steps to get to the final size.

I have a carbide Forstner bit for my wood vases, but I have not tried using this alone. I use normal Forstner bits of smaller sizes before I finish the hole with my carbide bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been making pepper mills and I've noticed that drilling end grain in exotic woods dulls hss Forstner bits quickly. I'm considering getting some high quality bits in just the sizes I use to drill the pepper mills. Should I consider carbide Forstners?
Howdy, just courious, what woods are you drilling? I must be getting close to 50 sets of Salt & Pepper grinders, yes I have had to re sharpen my drills, but never have gotten close to resorting to carbid. I do only domestic, that's why I ask what type of woods????

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done cocobolo, blood wood, yellowheart, red heart and Gonzalo Alves. As I advance the bit, you can hear and feel how hard it is drilling into the end grain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You may try googling cylindrical boring bits with tungsten inserts, also try tungsten flat bottom drill bits. If no luck find nearest supplier of CNC tooling. There is a large selection of these type bits out there from 16mm to 90mm hope this helps

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you are following Mikes Directions remember keep the rpms slow 400 max, take your time and remove the chips often. I vacuum the chips constantly. Most of my mills are made with hard maple

I have tried carbide bits in oak (not end grain)and the do not give a good finish. I tried two different manufactures, (Freud and Grizzly)and they have a tendency to tear the fibers in the hole. I drill a lot of 2" holes in 3/4" oak and the HSS Freud give the cleanest hole.

For S & P mills I use the Colt bits system, but they are expensive and they will over heat if you do not follow Mikes Hawkins directions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts