Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used naptha as a lubricant to wet sand shellac since water will cause it to blush if it's wet too long. I've checked multiple places and can't find naphtha. Did I miss something and the stuff has been outlawed?

·
7,222 Posts
I've always used naptha as a lubricant to wet sand shellac since water will cause it to blush if it's wet too long. I've checked multiple places and can't find naphtha. Did I miss something and the stuff has been outlawed?
News to me if it is banned. I will have to check my local hardware stores next time I go in.

In the meantime, you can try using beeswax mixed with mineral oil.

A member of my local woodturning club sells what he calls "Dust Inhibitor" wax which is a mix of white beeswax and mineral oil. I have a small container, but I have not had chance to use it yet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
is naptha better than mineral spirits? and why ? I am going to be using shellac for the finish on by crib as soon as it gets less humid here..

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
GROOVY said:
is naptha better than mineral spirits? and why ? I am going to be using shellac for the finish on by crib as soon as it gets less humid here..
Varnish Makers & Painters (VM&P) Naphtha is a purer byproduct of the refinery process for petroleum. It's much higher quality that mineral spirits.

It's a very volatile & flammable solvent that is used as a thinner. It helps the finish penetrate & evaporates fairly quickly, thereby speeding up drying times.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Naphtha can be used to thin varnish or oil based paint the same as mineral spirits. Naphtha is a faster drying solvent that is recommended for spray applications so runs are not as much of a problem. To me it has a cleaner feel to it if you were using it as a lubricant for sanding. For the most part I use naphtha to tell whether a existing paint in a house is latex or oil based paint. If you put some on a rag and rub the paint and it disolves enough of it that it comes off on the rag it's latex paint. The solvent won't do anything to oil based paint.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to have to try the tractor supply. I've checked Ace, True Value, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams and Duron. Most don't have it at all, only a couple had quarts for what seemed like a high price.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Robson Valley said:
I think that Coleman lantern & stove "gas" is straight naptha.
I believe you are correct. Also called "white gas".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts