Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant get minwax antique oil. whats a good substitute that looks the same ? i want that same warm look it has

thanks guys

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
i cant get minwax antique oil. whats a good substitute that looks the same ? i want that same warm look it has

thanks guys
Home Depot usually carries that stuff I think. You can experiment with mixing your own brew. Try in thirds...BLO, an oil base varnish, or oil base polyurethane, and mineral spirits. You can change the ratios, but start with that and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
50/50 on the oil based poly and mineral spirits ? I have plenty of bona Kemi polyurethane. It says oil modified. Is that be the same as oil based poly

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> says oil modified.

All oil based varnishes and poly varnishes are "oil modified". It means that the oil has been modified into varnish by the addition of a resin and then heated. It's just marketing talk.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
It appears the problem getting that finish is because you are in California. If you really like it you may have to cross the state line because nobody will ship it to you. If you can still get mineral spirits it would probably be a good idea if you would stock up. Many solvents you can no longer buy.

The oil modified polyurethane is different than oil based polyurethane. It is a water based product so you wouldn't thin it 50/50 with mineral spirits.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Bob,
To put it bluntly, you've been screwed by CARB and they used a screw with a Torx head.

All the ingredients of MAOF are "Non-photo chemically reactive but CARB is on the war path of all VOCs. BTW - Acetone is not considered a VOC.

About the only places that you can get it these days is Rockler in Phoenix and Ace Hardware in Las Vegas. Lowe's in Henderson will order it for you but you'll need to order a full case and pay in advance.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts

thanks guys
Please check your PM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts