Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey yall,

First post, and yes, Im a new guy crying for help.

Wife REALLY wants a certain finish, and Ill be damned if I can figure it out. Ive tried 4 different methods and nearly broke google, even visited 3 woodworking shops here in San Antonio! If you think you got it, please please let me know. Guesses aren't going to be very helpful though, Im nearly out of boards to practice on lol. So here's a pic-

Thats the table I bought her, Im trying to finish the old furniture in a similiar fashion. I have enough veneer to try 1 -2 different ways. Hope someone knows!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Isn't it maybe a transtint dye or something like that? I know they make an ebony, maybe its a dye or some mixol then aged with a ebony wash of some sort?

My best guess...

·
Registered
26,193 Posts
A closer picture would help. As best as I can tell multiple techniques would be needed for different parts of it. Some of it looks like it was just stained. Some of it looks like it was stained and most of the stain sanded off. Some it looks like it was stained and pickled (a procedure where you put a white or gray enamel on the stained wood and the excess wiped off, staining the wood) The drawer fronts look like they were stained each with a different color and then pickled.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can get dye stains here--http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/General-Finishes-Water-Based-Dye-Stain-Pint.aspx

Sometimes if you have a leather crafts shop you can get them there too, just mix with alcohol though, and if you are in a really big hurry you might just pick out a shade you like of acrylic paint in a tube from Hobby Lobby and maybe amp it up with some tint from the paint store, in fact you could water down one of those sample quarts they sell you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
it looks like a weathered grey look.of sorts. Im with Steve need better pictures, I am pretty sure We can give you the answer, just need to see a more detailed color

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for being gone so long, I have tried a few more methods, all failed. I will get better picks when I get off work though. The weathered grey + dye sounds promising. I do leatherwork, but Im not sure what you mean by cutting the dye with alchohol, you mean a powdered dye?

Steve/Charles- Im going to read more on 'pickling', but is it pickled the dyed or dyed then pickled?

Thanks again, if I pull this off wife's gonna think Im superman.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This doesnt appear to be pickled, if we can see the color, feel sure we can get you where you want to be .

·
Registered
26,193 Posts
Sorry for being gone so long, I have tried a few more methods, all failed. I will get better picks when I get off work though. The weathered grey + dye sounds promising. I do leatherwork, but Im not sure what you mean by cutting the dye with alchohol, you mean a powdered dye?

Steve/Charles- Im going to read more on 'pickling', but is it pickled the dyed or dyed then pickled?

Thanks again, if I pull this off wife's gonna think Im superman.
Pickling isn't that complex. I normally use a flat oil based enamel, white or tinted any color you wish and thin it down where it is very liquid. You just brush or spray it on the wood and then take a rag and wipe off as much or as little as you want and let it dry. It was originally developed to duplicate a finish where a customer had a white painted piece of furniture at a refinishing shop where the refinisher had attempted to strip the finish off and didn't get it completely clean. All the cracks and crevases and the grain still had paint in it. The customer saw the 3/4 stipped piece of furniture and like it so the refinisher just put clear on it at that point. Then other people saw the piece of furniture and liked it also and it became popular.

There are powdered dyes you can order through the mail without all the hasmat fees and just mix it with alcohol you can get locally. I have a local store which sells Mohawk Finishing Products and I use their Ultra Penetrating Stain. It's the same thing already mixed with alcohol. There isn't a lot you can do with a dye that you can't do with an oil stain. I mostly use dyes to make adjustments on stains when I'm matching a color.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What few Mohawk products I have used were great, I liked the crackle lacquer I bought many years ago. But looking a their catalog I got pretty confused, if I remember, they used to offer classes from time to time to learn their materials--seems like you could walk out to be a great finisher and touch up person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts