Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Looks like very pretty wood, and you finished it nicely. Personally I'm not a fan of that shape (I like my bowls to curve under rather than have "vertical sides") but I recognize the skill that went into it.

Which photo is a closer representation of the actual color of the wood? The two pix are so different it's hard to see they are the same bowl.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments duncsuss. I'm still pretty new to turning so I haven't got too much under my belt just yet. This is my 2nd bowl.

I think the flash went off on the first pic, but not the second. I'd say the actual colors lie somewhere in the middle, but the bottom pic is probably a better representation. Here's the first pic with the flash off. When the light hits it from different directions it really changes the colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I love canarywood, especially the smell. Not bad for your second bowl, my second was about the same shape and size. But I'm with Dunc, try for a more sweeping curve on the outside (and inside for that matter). Check out Richard Raffans book " The art of turned bowls" ( or something like that) it will really help you to see shapes better.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely does smell good :smile:

It seems like everything is your favorite to turn, Mike :laughing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts