Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to route at an angle something like the slots in this piece?

I would like to make something like this out of wood.

The "slots" would be about 1/4 inch wide.

But how would be the best way to route them??? I would need them to come in an angle to the piece, and I only know how to route either perpendicular to the edge or end grain - not at an angle.

Am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Do you have a router table or is it a hand held router? If you have a table I think it would be reasonable easy to make a angled jig to hold the piece and use it much like a box joint jig on a table saw.....or.... just use a box joint jig on a table saw with the workpiece secured at an angle.

It's just what comes to mind... I am sure the pro's on here will have a better solution.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I do have a homemade router table. It's pretty basic. Has a rip fence, but I don't really know how to set it at an "angle."

You are probably right that I am going to need some kind of jig for it.

Unfortunately, no table saw.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm actually not sure you could do that on a router table. By the time you got to the slots on the bottom of your pic, you'd need a really long bit (if it was up on an angled sled). A table saw would have no problem cutting those, though.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I'm thinking a template but with no dimensions I don't know if that would be viable.:blink:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"What would the thickness of the piece be?"
I was thinking something kind of thin... maybe a half-inch thick, then maybe 12 inches tall and about 8 inches wide.

I might make it out of 1X stock though... maybe 1 X 10 X 12" stock???

"I'm thinking a template but with no dimensions I don't know if that would be viable."
That's the thing... I am not sure how to make the template in the first place.

>>>>

Since I don't have a table saw, I ask out of curiosity only: How would the table saw work to make the slots if they are about a quarter or a half-inch wide? I am guessing a dado blade, but the "bottom" of the slots (the part that extends furthest from the edges in toward the center of the piece) is curved, like the cut a router bit would make. Wouldn't a dado make a flat (square) cut???

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Can you route it flat? If so, an angled board attached to the fence with a corresponding guide attached to the workpiece and moved for every cut might work?

This is just an idea, I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. You would have to be able to secure everything safely. You would also have to make the board attached to the fence like a bridge so you could slide the workpiece under it.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
32,239 Posts
It is a finger joint on the flat

Use the concept by sanchex and make a jig that so that the work enters at an angle and has a locating pin the same angle and thickness as the router bit. I search You Tube, but they are all at 90 degrees, but the concept should work at an angle.... I donno?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The posted drawing looks to be something trivial to cut with a CNC. You might check to see if there is any local shop with a CNC that can give you an estimate.

If you need to make many of them, have the CNC shop make you a template in 3/8" plywood or something similar. Then use a pattern bit in your router table (yes, they make 1/4" diameter ones) to copy the template as many times as you need.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/20...spiral-router-bit-14-d-x-1-cl-14-sh-3-ol.aspx

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Stan - OK, got a better picture now. I'd do it on the router table. You need a template and a bit similar to the one woodnthings posted. There are cheaper ones though, you just need one with a tip mounted bearing.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...html/pages/bt_flush.html#pattern_flush_anchor

All you need for a template is a piece of 1/4 or 1/2" MDF, two or three inches wide and a little longer than your intended workpiece.
Drill a series of holes the diameter equal to the width of slots you want and the proper distance from the edge of the template material that you want the slot to end at. Number of holes would be equal to the number of slots you want. Then just open the drilled holes to the edge of the template at the desired angle with a hand saw. This needs to be really smooth cut, my weapon of choice is a little Marples pull saw I bought at Home Depot a couple of years ago for $10-12.
You just need to attach this template to the workpiece with double face tape/hot glue/pin nails/however and run it through the router table with the flush trim bit installed and the bearing riding on the edge of the template. You can move the fence out of the way so it doesn't interfere with moving the stock. The fence isn't really required as all the stock control is done with the bearing but I usually keep mine close to help with the dust collection.
When the first edge is done, just move the template to the other edge. :smile:

Reactions: Wood4Brains

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Stan, you are correct it would have flat bottoms on the TS....I overlooked that part in my suggestion. The idea of doing it flat on the RT would be probably as easy (and accurate) as it will get.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very much, hillpanther, Roger Newby, jschaben (John) and Fred Hargis. I really appreciate the help.

I will try to work on the template today and tomorrow. I am a little slow when working on things, but will try to get the results up.

·
where's my table saw?
32,239 Posts
Think this over

A threw a sketch together of the concept I envisioned making a finger joint at an angle. You would need 2 pin locations on your table, right and left of the router and the pins must be the same diameter as the router bit..... just a wild idea.... :blink:

Attachments

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Do you have a router table or is it a hand held router? If you have a table I think it would be reasonable easy to make a angled jig to hold the piece and use it much like a box joint jig on a table saw.....or.... just use a box joint jig on a table saw with the workpiece secured at an angle.

It's just what comes to mind... I am sure the pro's on here will have a better solution.
I don't think a jig to hold the piece at an angle will work. You would need a longer bit or blade for each cut because of the placement of the cuts.

On a table saw you could tilt the blade and keep the piece flat.

For a router it would only be safe and accurate if you had a tilting router in a table. I will post links in a minute.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.