Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a truck load of 4' cut offs from a staircase company of very nice species of wood. Mostly walnut, cherry, oak, and maple, but there are 2-3 different species of wood I can't identify... Wondering if you all could help. Here is the first mystery piece.

Very hard and very heavy! Prob have about 10 pieces id say of this so if this pic isn't good enough let me know and I can snap a few more! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blockofwood said:
Aged red oak I would guess, the grain looks like oak. There are a few different types of red oak. The stuff I use I've never seen that red. But I haven't ever let it sit for years unfinished
Well I gotta say I have used a lot of red oak and this is extremely redder and much heavier than any red oak I have ever seen. Also has a feel of walnut not oak... No very grainy like ash and oak.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
While I would describe Paduak as hard and heavy none of mine has ever had grain that looked like that and it certainly browns with age way more than that. (Assuming it's seen any light at all). It is about the right color for "fresh" paduak.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Since you said pieces were from a staircase company, just a WAG, but I gonna say jatoba (brazilian cherry). Go to Phinds website and look up "jatoba"....hard, heavy, used for stair treads.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.