Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a truck load of 4' cut offs from a staircase company of very nice species of wood. Mostly walnut, cherry, oak, and maple, but there are 2-3 different species of wood I can't identify... Wondering if you all could help. Here is the first mystery piece.

Very hard and very heavy! Prob have about 10 pieces id say of this so if this pic isn't good enough let me know and I can snap a few more! Thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
What does it look like with the stain sanded off? At first guess I'd call that red oak that's been stained, but I'm not the best species identifier we have here.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no finish on this piece, other than water to remove the dust so the pic could be clean. But I can snap a pic of it without it being "wet"

·
Banned
16 Posts
Aged red oak I would guess, the grain looks like oak. There are a few different types of red oak. The stuff I use I've never seen that red. But I haven't ever let it sit for years unfinished

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blockofwood said:
Aged red oak I would guess, the grain looks like oak. There are a few different types of red oak. The stuff I use I've never seen that red. But I haven't ever let it sit for years unfinished
Well I gotta say I have used a lot of red oak and this is extremely redder and much heavier than any red oak I have ever seen. Also has a feel of walnut not oak... No very grainy like ash and oak.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Heavier, I wander if it is Osage orange. Extremely strong, heavy and used to make wagon tongues and axles back in the day. Very heavy and dense. Not sure what it looks like aged

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
While I would describe Paduak as hard and heavy none of mine has ever had grain that looked like that and it certainly browns with age way more than that. (Assuming it's seen any light at all). It is about the right color for "fresh" paduak.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I get home tonight I will try and snap a better picture of a fresh cutoff. Maybe that can clear it up a little...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Since you said pieces were from a staircase company, just a WAG, but I gonna say jatoba (brazilian cherry). Go to Phinds website and look up "jatoba"....hard, heavy, used for stair treads.
Just my 2 cents.

·
just a dude
630 Posts
Since you said pieces were from a staircase company, just a WAG, but I gonna say jatoba (brazilian cherry). Go to Phinds website and look up "jatoba"....hard, heavy, used for stair treads.
Just my 2 cents.
I have a bowl blank of Brazilian cherry that looks just like that. It's definitely a hard, dense wood, too.

Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts