Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, new here. Registered to ask this question;

I'm looking to recreate a nice home decor lamp for my home. i've attached some photo links below.

http://imgur.com/NgJ4HYQ
http://imgur.com/Dh3NxIU
http://imgur.com/y8EdjYF

I originally thought the piece was stained glass, but the thickness around the frame and the cut of the holes makes this seem like a slim chance (it would require a laser cutter to be made from glass).

I think that the lamp is made from wood and has copper inlays. If I were to recreate something similar, how would I make sure that the joins are sufficiently secured to hold a kilo or two of soil and plants?

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is PVC.

If one were to actually try that with wood, it would require extreme precision and perfect mating surfaces, with a small rabbit at the joints for the copper. Glue and clamp/tape.

Do away with the diamond patterns and the copper inlay, and it's a much more reasonable project with wood. (The diamonds would be a nice challenge, though, and would look nice as a different wood species or stain).
You wouldn't want to edgeband the inside of the cutouts,, so you would not run the grain horizontally on the verticals (which would give you end-grain on the inside frame). You would have separate pieces for those with mitered ends, grain running vertically, as opposed to a solid hunk of wood with a cutout that the product in your pictures is imitating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks heapsfor the replies guys.

Just a question - if the frame is metal/pvc, how can the thickness be explained around the pillars?

Thanks again. eespecially builder64

·
Registered
994 Posts
It looks like copper sheet to me. Copper is malleable enough that the side openings were probably stamped then pressed in to leave the lip you perceive as thickness. Several faces could be simply folded from one to the other, with only the last and closing seams soldered/brazed. The bead edges just pressed or rolled into the sheet to encourage it to fold. A close look should reveal that some seams are not like the others.

·
where's my table saw?
28,569 Posts
I agree it's metal

Having had some experience working with and bending metal, it's very likely it's the only material strong enough for the thin sections. I also have done some leaded/stained glass projects where the metal sections were soldered together. That's how I would make it if it were me. Wood and the methods used to join it, would just not have the strength necessary.

Which metal? Probably brass and here's the puzzler.... Why does it appear to wood grain? Beats me. :blink: On top of that, the diamonds, if made out of glass, would also add some weight to it. Since there are 2 identical pieces in the photo, it would appear to be made in some manner to faciltate "quantity production".... I donno?
There is small brass channel available with would be "wrapped" around the diamonds and then could be soldered together.

If you still are intent on making one, I would look into a stained glass class or other studio class where metal working is the main course.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After a second look, I agree that this thing is a welded wireframe cage. I'm still thinking the panels or "skin" is a PVC, though, although there are wood-grain aluminum laminates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts