Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Methink you are playing too helpless.
That's pretty funny. Did you notice the shipping charge?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Methink you are playing too helpless.
So we just jumped from 26.00 which I already said is too much, to 33 for a set of 4 tools when all I want is one.

Me isn't too helpless. Me is too cheap.

Again, I'll just hold the thing in my hand and use my dremel. This lathe idea won't work for this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
What I meant was the shipping charge is $1,000.
lol I had to go back and look, mine says free shipping. Still, don't need 4 tools.

BTW... the seller I got the #2 part from does not want it returned. Already gave me a refund. My guess shipping fees aren't worth it to him. In any case, if someone wants this part, I'm happy to sell it cheap.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Great but I flat out refuse to ever do business with Amazon ever again. Anti American company. Only one I can find on ebay ships from China. Probably get it in 4 months.
Losing interest in using the lathe at this point.
That is a shame. Because the proper tool makes a job so much easier. As for your boycott of companies or countries, it is unfortunate that sometimes the only supply in the world is from a source we are reluctant to use. (Back in the 1960's, the only supplier in the world of the giant bearings for hydroelectric turbines was Czechoslovakia, a communist country at the time. Despite the precarious position the US could have been in, they never gouged us for price or threatened not to sell to the US. Of course when some congressman found out, there was a bill to give an obscene amount of money to an American company to set up machinery to make the bearings. IIRC the money was spent, but the plant never actually made anything that power companies ordered.) I have ordered several things from China over the last few years. Never waited longer than 3 weeks. In fact, I have had some items custom made in India and had them in less than a month. Got lathe turning tools from Russia and those were shipped within a day, but sat in a US postal facility in New Jersey for 3 weeks on the way. There are several suppliers of MT1 center kits (made in China) but kept in stock here in the US that you can have in a few days at most. Try Rockler Hardware, Penn State Industries, Woodcraft, ebay, etc. .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
That is a shame. Because the proper tool makes a job so much easier. As for your boycott of companies or countries, it is unfortunate that sometimes the only supply in the world is from a source we are reluctant to use. (Back in the 1960's, the only supplier in the world of the giant bearings for hydroelectric turbines was Czechoslovakia, a communist country at the time. Despite the precarious position the US could have been in, they never gouged us for price or threatened not to sell to the US. Of course when some congressman found out, there was a bill to give an obscene amount of money to an American company to set up machinery to make the bearings. IIRC the money was spent, but the plant never actually made anything that power companies ordered.) I have ordered several things from China over the last few years. Never waited longer than 3 weeks. In fact, I have had some items custom made in India and had them in less than a month. Got lathe turning tools from Russia and those were shipped within a day, but sat in a US postal facility in New Jersey for 3 weeks on the way. There are several suppliers of MT1 center kits (made in China) but kept in stock here in the US that you can have in a few days at most. Try Rockler Hardware, Penn State Industries, Woodcraft, ebay, etc. .
Holdzdrecher, I never had a problem ordering from China. In fact the part that I got off ebay, that was the wrong size, came from China. I have no problem with the people of china. Just because their leader is evil doesn't mean the people are.

I have a problem with Amazon. Multiple actually. The last straw, was Amazon getting involved in silencing Trump or any platform he uses. That did it for me. But before that?
1. Contacting individual sellers, VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE. (Easy on ebay.) So if you have any questions about a listing, go pound sand.
2. Amazon prime. They make it so opting into that is WAY too easy to do by mistake. And I did just that. It was like rolling in sticky glue, getting OUT of it was a chore.
3. My daughter gets her first credit card. Her very first purchase EVER was on Amazon. And guess what? Her card info got stolen, bogus charges made, and she got the first hand experience of canceling the card and starting all over. (No clue what other information someone gathered.) How could ANY OTHER outfit have her CC info when this was the first ever purchase with it? So that was HER first and last experience with amazon.
4. And this should scare everyone. OTHER companies are allowing sales THROUGH AMAZON! Ebay sellers pull this all the time. Now they are allowed to have a warehouse in the states and sell through. THEIR OWN WAREHOUSE, Not amazon. (Pretty sure the part I bought did just that.) But it happens all the time. I flat out refuse to play along and if I order off ebay and amazon shows up, it goes back. I then report the seller to ebay since this IS against their rules. (Which they barely enforce, they are making money too.) Many items now, repeat purchase items I just stopped even looking at ebay for. I'd find it, look at feedback, and see complaints about amazon showing up or items never arriving. Move onto the next one, repeat. Until I get fed up and find some other site. Even walmart, ordered a toaster online and guess who delivers it. AMAZON. And that was the LAST thing I ever ordered off walmarts site. As more and more companies drop ship for Amazon, it's just a matter of time before amazon is the only game around. Do you think their prices will stay low after ALL the competition vanishes?
5. Last one I promise. Amazon delivery people are about as STUPID as they come. I'm in a very rural area. Straight street too. Only 4 houses on my side and 1 on the other. (And I own two side by side so basically I have ONE neighbor to the north and one to the south of me.) We ALL have our house numbers clearly on the mail boxes out front. HOW could any delivery person screw that up? Yet amazon CONSTANTLY misses the target. (To be fair, Fed Ex isn't very much better.) I get my neighbors stuff, both sides of me, they get mine. I even got a delivery that belongs to some lady in another STATE! I don't know how they find such incompetent drivers, but they sure have no shortage of them. So even IF I order from amazon, there's about a 50/50 chance the package ends up on someone elses porch. OR STATE.

So again. If someone finds this part in size 1, going price should be ball park 17 bucks, I'll pay A FEW bucks more to not do business with amazon. But even ebay, it means I have to sift through feedback, search for any mention of amazon showing up, or missing packages (I believe ebay has been removing feedback that mentions amazon, again they are making money too.) but deliveries not showing up is a tip off. If I find that I move onto the next listing. Until I toss in the towel as I have now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hey lets change gears here. Thought I'd dig up a few pen kits I bought several years ago and turn one. Now I have turned a few really nice pens, rank beginner but they came out sweet. Then we started some massive home repairs and a whole lot of crapola got stashed in my garage. SO I haven't touched the lathe in a few years now. CLEAN forgot what I'm doing.

Just trying to drill a blank, sat through about a dozen videos.... dang it. All showing the drill bit on the right side, and this clamp thing on the left. (Tail/head, which is which?
Anyway I have the gripper thing, but the right side? For the life of me I cannot remember how to set that up. I took that pointy bit completely out, yea that's not it.

I don't own a drill press, and I KNOW I have done this using the lathe.

Need a refresher course.
Got a picture of mine,
I also grabbed a shot of the make model etc.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
903 Posts
The left hand assembly that provides the spin is the headstock. The right side assembly is called the tail stock. What you have inserted in the tail stock in the picture is a live center, because it has a bearing and spins with the work. There is also a nearly obsolete thing called a dead center. the part that straddles the lathe between the centers is a banjo. The banjo primarily holds the tool rest. Many turners use a Jacobs drill chuck on a taper inserted in the tail stock to hold the bit for drilling on the lathe. They use the chuck (clampy thing) to hold and spin the work while the drill bit doesn't spin. (It can spin if the taper is not inserted properly or has too much oil on it.) On your lathe,(8x12 right?) there isn't much room for drilling anything over a few inches long. If I recall correctly, a bed extension was offered for that particular lathe, but rare as hens teeth. . I have a lathe just like yours that I use for small items when the larger lathes are set up for other jobs. I use it a few times a year and it is easy to take to craft events to demonstrate turning. For little things like ornaments, pens, tops etc, it is good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for all that. So... I actually have a Jacobs drill chuck. But if my life depended on it I cannot remember how the blasted thing goes on my lathe. I also found a batch of cutting tools for squaring up the ends of the drilled blanks. Forgot how those go on too. I must be missing some parts somewhere. I know I've used this all before. Gees youtube is about worthless sometimes. Found one showing how to set up the lathe. Perfect right? "Sock this into your tailstock" AND YET THAT SIDE IS OFF CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gees. Everything else I found is NOT what I searched for. Repairing one, cleaning a rusty one. I wish searches worked better.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yeah some folks youtube videos are about worthless. However, there are excellent ones, by several different turners. The Aamerican Association of wood turners had a trial membership for free, (don't know if they still do) but it included access to videos that were reviewed for safety and proper instruction by turning experts. If you have a jacons chuck on an MT taper, you merely remove the live center and slip the jacobs chuck in the tail stock socket. To remove the live center, you probably just need to turn the hand wheel to retract the live center. Once it reaches a point, there is an internal piece that forces the taper out of the socket. (sometimes the taper is too short for that and you need slip a box wrench or piece of wood over the taper between the bearing and the tail stock to add a spacer.)

·
Registered
903 Posts
When you took out the live center from the tail stock, you screwed out the tail stock sleeve/socket as well. That part needs to go back into the tail stock. before anything else will work. The live center (pointy thing) comes out of that threaded sleeve. there is a tapered socket inside that is a uniform Morse taper No. 1, so other attachments will fit by just sliding them in. There is no reason to remove the sleeve from the tail stock unless you feel the need to clean the tail stock assembly. Did you lathe come with a knock out rod? use the knock out rod in the sleeve from the threaded end and try to bump out the live center. Then put the sleeve back into the tail stock. the key way for the lock down screw to hold the sleeve from rotating. (groove running part of the length of the sleeve) . you will have to line that up with the lock down screw again once the sleeve is back in. .

I am pretty sure, HF still has the manual with parts list free for downloading at their web site customer service tab. If not I may have one somewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok it's HAPPY DANCE time..... Did you see that flash of light? It was my brain cells firing up. Finally. lol.
Yup, took a bit of banging but sure enough that pointy thing popped right out. AND.... so excited I had to drill a blank. First one in several years. WHOPPEEEEE.

Next.... I had a long blank, cut it in half to make two pens, and it is just a tad longer than the tube, expected. I KNOW that extra box of bits is to get it the exact right length and square up the ends.... but alas, that part of my brain still isn't grasping something I HAVE ALREADY DONE BEFORE. (Yea it's like riding a bike right? Once you fall off you never forget how.)

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,623 Posts
Easy peasy. One of the shafts is a snug fit in your pen tube. Mount the cutter on the shank, teeth facing down. Mount it in your drill, pen blank snug in a vise with clearance on the bottom end. Shaft goes into the tube, spin up the drill and gently bring the teeth into the end of the wood backing out frequently to check the depth of the cut. When you just contact the brass it will turn shiny, swap to the other end and repeat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So that part is just with my drill, ok. Easy enough. Wondered why they have cutter ends since I already drilled the hole. It's that jaggy round bit that smooths the end of the blank then?
I'm confused. How do you know how far to go?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts