Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Manufacturer of earring holder slats, instant frame inserts, framed earring holders and scarf slides
5 Posts
artmakersworld, Yes, here are pics. The first is the spigot jaws (that held the dowel rod) assembled to the chuck. This was attached to the headstock. The 2nd photo shows the parts for the tailstock, drill bit I used to take most of the wood out, then the Forstner bits I used to get a clean inside edge and finish the "hollowing out" process. I sold the lathe so can't show a photo of the parts attached to the lathe. I hollowed out about 20 8" dowels before I concluded the process, though it worked perfectly, would be too labor intensive for mass production of the scarf slides I'm making so all of these parts are nearly brand new and not returnable, so for sale if you are (or anyone else is) interested. You can get all these parts at Rockler. Hope that info posted earlier on all the parts and specifications and the pics clarify for you. Good Luck!
Desiree
Rim Nickel Font Machine Gas
Tire Automotive tire Audio equipment Cosmetics Auto part
Font Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system Nickel
Motor vehicle Font Signage Gas Advertising

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, I'd recommend one like shown below
  • Multi-tooth, spring-loaded drive centers are far superior to traditional the 4-prong centers that come stock with most lathes
  • The spring-loaded center point contacts the workpiece first, then retracts into the center when pressure is applied preventing splitting of your workpiece
  • The multiple teeth then grip the wood as pressure is applied on the tailstock greatly decreased the likelihood of splitting your work

View attachment 442080
Well I ordered this off ebay, and... it doesn't fit my PEN lathe. Sending it back.
Clearly there are sizes on these things. So what size do I need?

Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Rim Bumper

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well I ordered this off ebay, and... it doesn't fit my PEN lathe. Sending it back.
Clearly there are sizes on these things. So what size do I need?
Yes, the taper has a size. My guess is you ordered a MT2 (sometimes shown as #2 MT, it stands for Morse Taper) and your pen lathe is uses MT1. If you look back at post #10, you will see Dave showed one of each size.

I think your best bet is to look at your owner's manual to verify the size. If you don't have a manual, search for one online or post the info for your lathe here and see if someone can help you find a manual.

You can also look here to try to determine the correct size: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/Measuring for Morse Taper Size.pdf

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well I can't seem to find one the right size. Guess I won't be turning pipes anytime soon. Just carve them by hand.
HUH? You didn't see my earlier link? post #10

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,623 Posts
Get a live center direct from Oneway in Canada. Best quality you can get for the price.
Lee Valley has drive centers
Klingspor has them too
This one may be what you want

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Again, I need size #1. NOT #2. Tried Kingspor and replaced 2 with 1 NO results.
That first link, live center brings up a page of all kinds of parts and not one of them resembles what I need.

So it looks like I either have to get it on amazon or don't get one. I won't be getting one.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well I can't seem to find one the right size. Guess I won't be turning pipes anytime soon. Just carve them by hand.
Just google wood lathe accessories. Pretty much every company that comes up will sell at least one drive center with a #1 MT. This place has a bunch (not recommending them, know nothing about this business, just showing you you can get what you need). The Woodturning Store

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
GOOD LORD! 49.00?????? AND out of stock no less.

Sigh.... Again, back to holding the thing with my hand and using a dremel. Nuts.

·
Registered
687 Posts
GOOD LORD! 49.00?????? AND out of stock no less.

Sigh.... Again, back to holding the thing with my hand and using a dremel. Nuts.
There are lots of drive centers to choose from. You need to mellow out. Do you need that exaxt style? What about one of these? GOOD LORD! $26.99????? AND all of them are in stock no less!

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,623 Posts
Methink you are playing too helpless.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts