Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Anything made of wood is fixable - but what is the table worth to you? I may be wrong, but it looks like pine with mortice joints. Your choice of displaying the photos is a bit disorienting to me, but I see the legs were attached to blocks with pins...? It could be an easy fix - but does the table have sentimental value to you? What does the top look like?

I'm sure others will chime in and maybe see things more clearly then I see it...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd fix it cause I like that old beat up look. I would just use some thin shims to essentially turn those joints into snug mortise/tenon joints (non-thru). Generous Tightbond before final assembly.
Almost looks like Cedar from Sierra's.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Depends on what techniques you are willing to apply.

If you feel okay putting screws in it for a simple fix, you can just cut some diagonals for each corner, pocket screw each side of each apron in to the legs, then pocket screw the diagonals to the aprons. If that makes sense.

You might also look at "table top fasteners" instead of the wooden...jams...or whatever one wants to call them. I personally am not a fan of the wooden jams, but it really doesn't matter once it's all together. I think the metal fasteners just seems easier.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I would first reglue the table parts you have with two part epoxy. Once it is dry then put some large corner blocks on the underside to tie the skirts with the legs.

·
amateur
235 Posts
I really doubt that you will get it repaired to any level of durability or strength. My suggestion is to chuck the base, and rebuild it and put the existing top on the new base.

Greg

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would fix it. Maybe try to get sone hardwood in the tenon to add strength. Extend it from the end of the tenon to 6in into the skirt. You could hide it by routering it into the rear inside. Glue, clamp and dowel or screw theough the hardwood.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
I cannot tell much from the photos. Too much closeup and not enough perspective.

As stated, anything made of wood is fixable if you have the time, money and skill. It all depends upon just how much you want to keep it.

George

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would first reglue the table parts you have with two part epoxy. Once it is dry then put some large corner blocks on the underside to tie the skirts with the legs.
+1 on the epoxy as well as the corner blocks. To the OP, this doesn't appear to difficult a job, but it will take some thought and maybe some help from an experienced woodworker. It's about 2 hours work if you have the right tools, clamps, and know how. What's your location? You never know, you might get a little hands on help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts