Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to build a headboard something like the one in this pic: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d4/11/92/d41192d56e46bd645cdbd91ad66435b0.jpg

A bit simpler pattern but the tufted fabric in the middle. I am thinking solid pine 2x8's glued together for the back, and then that trim edge around the front.... that is my problem. I need about 1-1/2" thick wood at least to match close to even with the fabric. I would take oak 2x6's angled at 45 degrees from the vertical boards and then cut my curves out of those. Hope that makes sense what I tried to explain. Problem is, I want it to look good from the side also. A neighbor told me to use cheaper wood and then use oak veneer over the top, but once I stain it, it would be very noticeable from the side that it's two different woods, right? The wood will be stained black, so I don't know.... maybe it would look not that bad. What would you recommend? Is 2x8 in white oak hard to find, and worth it? Thank you in advance for responses!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would go with 3/4" plywood behind the tufted upholstery. Glued up lumber will expand and contract, plus, you don't need that much thickness. For the scrollwork edging, I would go with something like maple, which can be painted very nicely. Use boards wide enough to get the scrollwork design layed out on it. If you used something like a 1 x 8 for the front layer and glued a 1 x 4 to the back side so when you cut out the scrollwork you would have 1-1/2" thickness showing on the outside edge. You would lap the 3/4" part of the 1 x 8 over the plywood middle panel. (Hard to describe, but easy to do)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts