Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new both to this forum and the wide world of woodworking -- although with my retirement two weeks away I expect to be much more active.

Our new retirement home has a roughly two acre field adjoining the house surrounded by heavily wooded areas. The main entrance to the property also cuts through the field to get to the garage. There's roughly about 900 linear feet of fencing that will be needed.

I want to set the paddock style fencing about 10 feet back into the wooded areas so the fence isn't visible. The only place the fence will be visible is the area around the gate that will be necessary for cars to come in and out.

I can get Oak or Hemlock horizontal boards at a very reasonable price from a local Mennonite mill. They aren't, of course, pressure treated. Will Oak or Hemlock boards with appropriate stain last 20 years or so? If so, what would I look for in the stain to help with making the wood last. Even though the boards are out of sight, I'd want to stain them dark brown / black as seen in many horse farms around here in eastern panhandle West Virginia.

I haven't yet settled on fence post but figure those do have to be pressure treated (I think?), although I do see a ton of fences around here with what look like just look like raw wood.

Lastly, for what it's worth, I'll be putting wire on the paddock oak or hemlock horizontal fencing (5' or 6') since our primary goal here is to do dog rescue and, while most dogs can't jump a 4' fence, I probably need at least 5' to make sure.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
welcome to the forum, Drew and congrats on your upcoming retirement !
this is an open forum with all levels of skills and talents.
please feel free to join in the conversations that you find interesting
and ask questions to expand your skill levels and share what you know.
if you would like to know more about something, you can start a new thread.
we like to see photos of projects to share with others.
when addressing specific issues or concerns, sketches, drawings and photos will get you the most accurate responses. (and we can all be on the same page).
when you get time, please consider adding your location to your profile and whatever you want in your signature line (such as your first name) through the "User CP" in the upper right corner of this page that will show in all your posts.
looking forward to seeing some of your projects.

we would much rather see posts of: "How do I do this"
~ vs ~ "How can I FIX this" . . . .

hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
12,615 Posts
First, to be sure that dogs(bigger dogs, German Shepard's, etc.) cannot jump the fence you you need at least 6 foot. I have seen dogs scale that. I have kept Shepards in 5", but they were trained.

If oak is cheaper than traditional fence wood (cedar, cypress, pressure treated pine) and it is properly painted, then I would think it would last 20 years. However, oak is usually considerable more expensive.

I know nothing about hemlock.

George

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, George. The oak boards are 1x6x16 for $10, which seems to be a good price relative to what I could find elsewhere. The hemlock boards are the same size for $9.50.

Agree with you on the need for a 6 ft fence. I do have a German Shepherd and expect to foster other GSDs.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Red oak doesn't hold up well outdoors unlike white oak. Hemlock I'm not all that familiar with. I like Cabots timber oil stain.

Congrats on the retirement, where the real work starts for some folks ;)

·
Registered
26,381 Posts
Red oak or Hemlock won't hold up very well to outdoor use. White oak is resistant to weather above grade but all of them are subject to insect damage. If you are going to do it use at least ground contact pressure treated for the bottom row and use white oak above. Any wood, be sure to maintain a sealant of some kind or another. Too many people put up a fence and stain it and then in 10-15 years start finding some rotten wood and wonder what happened. For the best life I would put a sealant on the fence annually.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
white oak or hemlock will work. i lined my open 6x9 farm trailer in 4/4 white oak - untreated, and had to replace it after 15 yrs or so. so i've seen it both ways. it is common in my parts of pa for people to side their homes with hemlock board and batten. preservative will help for sure.

if they are not dried, you can expect cracking/splitting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone, for all the great information. It is white oak I would be buying. Appreciate all the feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts