Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
twingall1
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just bought a Jet mini wood lathe with Axminster SK80 Chuck and type C dovetail jaws package.

I was wondering if it was possible/advisable to use the chuck WITHOUT the jaws. It seems like this might be convenient for certain situations (for very small tenons- turning bone for example; where the jaws might make things difficult/harder to access). I know there are other jaws for this purpose but i've already blown my budget!

Here is a link to the chuck and jaws i bought: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-clubman-sk80-woodturning-chuck

If this is possible but not advisable, any tips for achieving the best possible grip would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Christmas!

Tom

·
7,222 Posts
Possible, yes, as long as you do not turn on the lathe. :thumbdown:

The metal arms on which the jaws are mounted are not intended to grip the wood. They may work, but I think are likely to have insufficient surface area to grip the wood without it spinning or coming loose.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Strangely, I just read about this in the Nova chuck manual that NCPaladin linked to in THIS POST on another thread.

The sentence is on page 2, it reads:

With the 50mm jaws removed, the jaw slides can be used to grip quite small spigots.
Sounds crazy to me, but if they say it can be done ... :blink:

Note that the tenon you're gripping this way would have to be small enough to fit between the 4 square corners of the + pattern that the slides travel in, and I don't know how far apart the slides are at the fully-closed setting.

I don't know any turners in America with this chuck -- it's probably best for you to (a) scour the manual looking for a sentence similar to the one in the Nova manual, and (b) contact the seller/maker.

Have fun -- and turn safely :thumbsup:

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Start saving your pennies again and buy a collet chuck for holding the small items.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've used my supernova chuck without the jaws on tons of smaller stuff. I usually use it to practice making finials. Just cut it down to a square that'll fit into the hole and have at it... saves having to start with more wood. Has worked great for me. Test it out yourself. Stand out of the way and experiment with different speeds. If you start from square stock you can mark the center and use the tailstock center point to help you line it up just to make sure it's not too out of whack when you start and as centered as possible. Wear a facemask and start with nice light cuts with a spindle roughing gouge and work with your comfort level. It's totally doable and safe. Have fun! congrats on your purchase btw... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well I do it. Not as much as I used to because I now have the Vicmarc extended jaws that do the same size turning and keep you away from the chuck body. So I think the better idea is to buy the small set of jaws that fit your chuck.
In an emergency (as in trying to make something you don't normally make and don't have the proper tools) anything goes. drill chucks will hold very small things but they aren't a good choice either. They crush the wood and you need a drawbar to hold them in the chuck. However in an emergency I've done it.

·
twingall1
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, I think i'll give it a go then but with caution.. The work i have in mind is really small and low force so i guess this makes the situation better.

All the best,
Tom

·
Registered
620 Posts
do you have a face mask? I'm not ALWAYS the best at wearing one but every time a chip flies in my eye I remember why I should. Have a blast man. What I wouldn't give to go back to the first day I used a lathe:) have fun! and make sure to show us some pictures when you get something done!!! The guys around here are super knowledgeable and always helpful. Look forward to seein some stuff :thumbsup: happy turnin,
Bond

1 - 8 of 8 Posts