Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there
I am building a closet which will vary from 2 feet , 3 feet , 4 feet and 6 feet wide in various rooms
The height of all the wardrobes will be the same 10 feet , divided into 7feet wardrobe and 3 feet loft cabinet
All will have hinged doors
As I am getting a brick wall on all 3 sides of the closet, I was wondering if it is a good idea to just make a front frame wardrobe and then cover the insides with 6mm pre laminated MDF?
The shelves and the drawers can be screwed to the brick wall for strength.
Even if the walls are not perfectly straight, i am not bothered
I am looking to save some money but don’t mind spending for a regular cabinet, if it’s not advised for durability in the long run

Any thoughts ?
Cheers

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,800 Posts
It’s a personal choice. If function is main concern, you could do it as pictured. I think a back on the center section with drawer would strengthen, but again, not necesssary, you have good anchor at top and bottom it’s not going anywhere.

My thoughts on the expensive closet systems — it’s a closet. But it can also be a selling point for a house.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope. 6mm has no where near the strength needed
maybe a non-structural back, but you need 3/4'' equivalent for the sides
The concept of front frame wardrobe is that you don't need any sides or back
The shelves drawers and partition are screwed directly to the walls
So where is the question of the side ply thickness being less
I am using the ply just to cover the inside walls for aesthetics
What am I missing?
Cheers

· Premium Member
4,800 Posts
The concept of front frame wardrobe is that you don't need any sides or back
The shelves drawers and partition are screwed directly to the walls
So where is the question of the side ply thickness being less
I am using the ply just to cover the inside walls for aesthetics
What am I missing?
Cheers
You are correct the sides wouldn‘t be structural. (y)

· Registered
29,471 Posts
Where the top shelf is fastened to the wall you might cut a hold and remove the rock and put some wood blocking attached to the framing. Then the same piece of rock you cut out can fill the hold back. Then cover the walls with 6mm plywood and you won't see the hole you cut. Someone else later if they desire can do the tape and bedding work.

· Registered
64 Posts
I am no woodworker, but I just finished a tiny project with 9mm plywood (a shoe rack) and it needed strengthening with plywood all across the back. And if the shoes were much heavier I think they would have bowed in the horizontal plane too.

I'm glad I went with 9mm as it was relatively cheap and is lightweight. But 6mm in my very humble option and limited experience won't be enough.

I guess really thin plywood just for the backing is fine if you want to keep price and weight down? But shelves, I dont think so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts