1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want to make a little box of wood,

http://images04.olx.com/ui/1/31/82/4892982_1.jpg

Can I make the wood looks like this one, because it's beautiful?

It's from Oak. Please any kind of information how to accomplish the same effect, would be very welcome!

I have zero knowledge about this field, and I've made my registration here only for that =)

Best Wishes.

·
Registered
994 Posts
For the side of a small box, details like the piano has would be easiest to CNC out of the wood used. On the piano they probably created the details by building it up in layers, with the innermost carving applied to the inner panel rather than cut from it.

To emulate the color, consider that the piano is showing a patina acquired from age, and is probably darker now than it was originally. A walnut or mahogany stain (mixed together maybe?) on red oak should get you close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies,

The Piano is more than 50 years old, and the post is serious!

I want to learn how to do the same appearance of the oak from the picture, but I have no clue how to do it. Because I have no knowledge in the matter. Cabinetman, thanks for the welcome. :smile:

4D, CNC is a machine?

George, Yes = )

Best Wishes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4D thinker, I've just saw the machine, it looks awesome, congratulations for owning that cutie, but is it easy to work with it?

The most important for me is, that it doesn't require a lot of skills to operate by my hand = )

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The only handwork you'll have to do is at your computer keyboard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alot of educational centres, colleges, etc. with a well founded carpentry program have CNC routers and may do some work for you.

Its one way I have learned to benefit from this marvel of technology without having to pay the price of admission and give up alot of shop space.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
sarfios said:
Hey guys,

I want to make a little box of wood,

http://images04.olx.com/ui/1/31/82/4892982_1.jpg

Can I make the wood looks like this one, because it's beautiful?

It's from Oak. Please any kind of information how to accomplish the same effect, would be very welcome!

I have zero knowledge about this field, and I've made my registration here only for that =)

Best Wishes.
The picture you have posted is a very aged varnish. When it was built and finished it was much lighter. Years ago varnish wasnt something that lasted forever. Gets very dark with age. I would start with asking a person that rebuilds pianos what he recommends.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
27,644 Posts
I assume your question is how to age a new finish to look crazed like the piano. That's pretty difficult and takes a lot of tinkering but can be done. I've done it by putting two coats of an gloss oil based varnish on and when dry spray it with lacquer thinner. The lacquer thinner tries to lift the varnish and wrinkles it up. Then when dry I go over it with a glaze and then put a thin coat of satin oil based varnish over the top. A lot depends on how much emulsion you have to begin with and how much lacquer thinner you put on it. You can put so much lacquer thinner on it that you completely ruin the finish to where you have to start over. I know it took me more than a couple of tries before I was satisfied with it. It's been so many years since I've done it I can't tell you more exact. I had a chair in my shop one time with a finish like that and the leg was in such bad condition it had to be replaced with a new leg and finished to match the rest of the old finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts