Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a building I constructed years ago in the garden (breeze block base and wood) and am now extending that out to be my woodwork workshop as started woodwork full time as a business in January. The current building is within 1 m of the neighbours fences. Can I just build this and nkt have to get any permissions (2.5 high at highest). My other concern is the noise, need to sound proof it somehow.
Also will any licences be required, or special insurance?
Appreciate any advice

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
Whether or not you need "permissions" is a matter for your local authorities.. Nobody on this forum can answer that question.

"My other concern is the noise, need to sound proof it somehow. " Is this a statement or question?

George

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
you are in the UK - most of us here are in the USA or Canada.
we have not seen your "garden" or present building. you have not said what kind of "business" you have started or what tools you will be using.
I have a garden, and if I was to put any kind of outbuilding 1 meter from the fence, I would face a fine and building removal.
as George said, you really need to contact your local code office.
what kind of woodworking will you be doing ??
and a hearty welcome to the forum !!

·
johnep
2,057 Posts
We used to have a poster who made guitars in his flat. (Had a lovely view of the mountains). If noise is an issue, then hand tools only.
johnep

·
Registered
14 Posts
Building regulations in the UK have changed recently to have the concept of "permitted development". Broadly speaking if it's in your back garden you can do it. There are few conditions that you need to meet to avoid the need to have permission.

As far as I recallI you can avoid requiring permission if;
- The outbuildings are less than 2.5m height.
- The outbuildings are more than 1m from a boundary
- They are "removable". So timber buildings are the way to go

So when I built my wife's studio it was constructed to be 3.5m x 4.5m, 2.5m to the apex and 1m from the boundary. The entire structure was made from timber but stands on about 15 concrete block piers with an air gap beneath the floor. Keeping to those guidelines meant that I could avoid the need for any permissions. My neighbour runs his business from a "shed" in his back garden which stands a metre (well nearer 0.5m but I won't complain) from the boudary and is about 5m x 5m; again no permissions were required.

Regarding noise, unless you are doing something repeatedly phenomenally loud (are you?) then it should not be an issue as most sheds will contain the noise to some extent, particularly if you insulate. I think the only time I annoyed the neighbours with noise was when I ran a router across several hundred metres of shiplap to put a rebate on the whole lot but they were such long sections that I had to do the whole lot outside.

My own "workshop" is a simple 2.5m x 3m shed that I have insulated and laid power into. That is too small for practical use so it's going to grow. I beleive there is an upper limit on the size you can construct but if I recall correctly that is something in the order of 50% of the existing buildings footprint.

Insurance is entirely up to you. If you have a leasehold or rented property you will need to check with your leaseholder or landlord but if you own the property generally if you are doing something ina shed without insurance that is up to you. As a practical issue you may want insurance because of the cost of some of the hardware.

Please check that because it is a couple of years since I looked over the regulations.

·
johnep
2,057 Posts
I have an insulated wooden shed which has a couple of freezers and my wife's old dressing table as a desk. I use it as my office.
johnep

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
Welcome to the forum
What size shop are you planning on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts