Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my solid birch dresser refinishing project I did some stripping of the mirror frame with Klean-Strip Strip-X stripper. The result was better than I expected. The picture below shows part of the mirror frame sanded down to bare wood on the left and part stripped only on the right.

Based on this picture my question is whether or not I have to do any aggressive sanding to get to bare wood before I apply stain. Can I apply stain to the stripped section without any problems? This would save me a considerable amount of time on this large dresser.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
I wouldn't skip sanding the wood. There is a risk that there may be residue of the stripper left on the wood that contains wax. Also even if you rinse with lacquer thinner the wood grain will be raised enough to make it rougher than it should so you would end up having to use more coats of finish with more sanding between coats to get the finish right. You would end up sanding just as much and the outcome wouldn't be as good.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't skip sanding the wood. There is a risk that there may be residue of the stripper left on the wood that contains wax. Also even if you rinse with lacquer thinner the wood grain will be raised enough to make it rougher than it should so you would end up having to use more coats of finish with more sanding between coats to get the finish right. You would end up sanding just as much and the outcome wouldn't be as good.
Thank you Steve. I will rely on your experience and will continue sanding this project. Was worth a shot.

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts