Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New to the site and hoping to get some help here.

The people who installed the molding and quarter round appear to have cut the latter incorrectly when it came to a door jam or some such area.
That is, from what I understand about end caps the part of the quarter round adjacent to the wall should be shorter at the end than the piece of the quarter round further from the wall. Hopefully, the jpg I've attached will show how the cut was made. How do I cut the end cap to make it look correct? Or given the improper cut already made can it not be corrected short of tearing the entire quarter round out from the wall?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
It's real common to end quarter round molding like that. It's not a very nice cut though. They needed a sharper blade to cut it to have a nice end. The end is usually just painted. I would put some wood putty on the end of this one and sand it smooth first.

If you just don't like the appearance you could remove the trim and cut another piece the same length but at a 90 degree angle. Then round over the end with a sander to like it was mitered back to the wall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts