Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an add on craigslist, and saw the block planes and this saw. I can't tell what brand saw it is, or what type. Can anyone help?

ForumRunner_20130608_171938.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks to be a 12"-14" backsaw. From what I can make out of the etch, it seems to say Powr-Kraft which was a Montgomery-Wards store brand, much like Sears has Craftsman.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Thanks. Would it be worth the 20 minute drive for the saw and misc. block planes? I don't necessarily "need" them, but a tool is a tool. Haha

·
7,222 Posts
Ok. Thanks. Would it be worth the 20 minute drive for the saw and misc. block planes? I don't necessarily "need" them, but a tool is a tool. Haha
Only if it works. ;)

A sharp back saw is handy to have around. The saw may be sharp or may be dull. Looks like a lot of teeth if it needs to be sharpened.

The block planes are easier to sharpen if the blades are dull. I think too many of similar size for my liking. You could always sell the ones you do not need.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up not going. I figured i already have 2 (cheap) block planes, and I'd rather save my money to buy a new quality back saw.
(Plus my wife said: "sure honey, you can but those, or....use that money to put towards your Veritas DT Saw. But you do what you think is right. ;-) ".....)

·
7,222 Posts
(Plus my wife said: "sure honey, you can but those, or....use that money to put towards your Veritas DT Saw. But you do what you think is right. ;-) ".....)
I have the Veritas Cross-Cut saw, different saw tooth pattern. I love this saw. Well made, fits in the hand like a glove. Good to save up to buy the Dovetail version - or the Cross-Cut. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was actually thinking about saving up to buy the pair. That way i can have the best of both worlds.... I just received my Lee Valley catalogs, so I've been drooling over my wish list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts