Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be looking at 3 5th wheel camper cabinet jobs today. Will be the first for me on this type. Only real concern I have is what to mount too. They are 3 brand new campers that a park uses to rent out. They do not move. Anyone done anything like this before? What's the framing like? Wall studs/floor joist wood/metal?

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Campers & motorhomes are a strange breed of carpentry. Most wall studs are 2 x 2 (at least they were in the late 80s when I worked in an RV shop)
Flooring is usually particle board covered with vinal or carpeting. 3/4 ply sub floor with 3/4 particle on top.
Look at how the paneling is installed.. Many times you'll see rosette fasteners on screws. Probe the wall with a small nail behind your application to locate the studs limits. About all stud joinery is done with staples.
Don't count on anything being square and considering they used second & third grade studs it's guaranteed that where you want to drive a screw you'll either hit a knot or a void.:blink:
Since these are fairly recent models perhaps a call to the manufacturer would get you some better info on the framing than I might offer.
Good luck with the project & let us know how it turns out.
..Jon..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! This will be a great job for me. 3 miles from my shop, and they close for the season in a few weeks so I've got all winter to work in them( not that it would take more than a few weeks)no rush and no one watching over my shoulder so can do them between other jobs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts