Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
John, the video gives the rules of the contest and how to enter. (I haven't seen it posted any other way.)

My question is where is the results or the pens we are suppose to be voting on. I do not know this person and if he has a web site or not. I was curious to see the pens that were entered. He says he will show them so they can be voted on. I know the contest is over. Just looking for the photos. Thanks.

· Registered
274 Posts
Capt Eddie is a good guy and our turning club president. Best I can tell you is send him a message with these questions.

If he is your President then you should have known the answer:smile: I am sure he was pushing the contest in your club. I am guessing no one else entered this contest.

The link provided does not work. He does not give any specifics about when, how or where he will be posting the pens in his original video.

If someone comes up with an answer please post it here.

· Registered
274 Posts
did you have a router thread on how to do that segmenting, i remember seeing one somewhere, very good set up

Yes and that was one of the pens from that project. This guy said nothing about older pens being used so I entered that one. There were very few rules.

I hope to be able to get back into my shop soon to do a few other pens I have been working on. Not sure many people will know what goes into making a pen such as that one so it will not get many votes but what the heck, I entered.

· Registered
274 Posts
Thanks.

I tend to agree with your disappointment. There were pens in that top 10 that I dont think should have been there and maybe even including mine. Mine most definately wasnt top 3. JT's pen in my opinion was the best of all the ones entered. I just dont think people knew what it took to create that blank. The one that placed 5th I also liked better then mine. There was also a watch part pen that didnt even make the top 10. I know the guy who makes those also sells the blanks so maybe it wasnt his pen, just a purchased blank. Hard telling. There should have been more rules but at the same time how would one go about regulating said rules? Im sure there were people who got everyone they knew to vote since anyone could cast a vote. Maybe one of the rules should have been that you had to of entered a pen to cast a vote and you couldnt vote for your own. It was a cool idea, it just could have been better.

First of all let me congratulate Dennis on the second place finish. Well deserved. Do not sell yourself short.

Now I will agree with you on a couple things. Most people and that includes seasoned turners do not know how much work goes into make a cool pen blank. I know of yours because I have done that design and the very thing that struck my eye when you first posted was the symatry and getting to layout well within the perameters of the pen kit. Not easy to do. Now how many people noticed that or even knew what it took to do that. I am sure not many.

The thing about the rules could have been better but hard to set things in stone without knowing there were no violations unless you were there. Did the person who won actually made the blank, I do not know but I am thinking they did or at least I am going on that assumption.

With contests like this, if it is judged by the public eye then what your goal is to make that WOW looking pen. The WOW factor plays an enormous roll as it does in other pen turning contests that are judged by our peers. But in those there is alot more knowledge as to the making of some of these blanks.

All in all take the contest for what it was and to me a publicity thing is the way I saw it. I just threw an entry in it for the fun. I really really do not need any more pen blanks so where Eddie gets that idea that every pen turner needs blanks is not true:yes:

Anyway it was fun and again congrats Bassman. Good job.

· Registered
274 Posts
I think the whole thing was a cool idea. There is always going to speculation and second guesses over any competition based on skill etc.

Where do you draw the line on bought blanks ...... I think laser cut kits should not be in it. Maybe it could have been 3 categories, natural blank, cast blank, segmented blank and vote for top 3 in each category.

Hopefully if he does it again I get one of mine in there.

Dave you too are in that catagory of don't sell yourself short. You should have entered.

I agree about the store bought blanks. The thing about a contest of this nature though there has to be the trust issue and that can be debated alot. But if you enter a pen contest of this nature that should be your work that we are judging and not someone elses who you bought from. You would then be taking claim to their work and misrepresenting yourself. :thumbdown:

Anyway as I said it was fun just to watch and see some of the entries. As I said I know a few of the ones that entered and can vouch they did make the blanks. Love to do it again. Have to see what his next challenge is. May take a stab at it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.