Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
where is the wood banger??
I think when he realized his lame comments wernt welcome here he ran away with his tail between his legs!!:laughing::thumbsup:

2,442 Posts
I hadnt seen the second one before now. I still cant believe this guy is still running off at the mouth when he is still yet to post a single piece of his work. IMO, this guy isnt even a woodworker. Just a lousy troll. Probably lives in his parents basement and has never even seen a lathe. How has he not been banned?

2,442 Posts
I had a college roommate with wretched manners. He rubbed everyone wrong for the first semester then began to catch on. He ended up being a great guy and my roommate for 4 yrs.

I love how inclusive this forum is. While members should quickly be called out for using bad etiquette, I kinda wish we could hold back on the return fire a bit. Everyone has reasons for the way they act or communicate, and while that's no excuse for rudeness, we all have our own crap to deal with. Just my 2 cents.

Now when somebody starts mouthing off about hollow forms I may come out swinging:).
I agree with you too a point. Were talking about a guy that has been a member longer than me and only has 200 posts. Hes never posted anything that I can recall that benefits the site or members. He just occasionally gets on and runs his mouth, usually about pen turners. He also loves to tell everyone how good he is at everything he does yet he refuses to post a single piece of his work. I dunno that I should be called out for implying that he might be a troll when thats all hes ever done here.

2,442 Posts
The pics of all the pens are here and he also explains how to cast a vote.

2,442 Posts
I did the same thing and entered an old one but I havnt made anything as cool since and he said send your best pen. FWIW, I think yours is the best in the video!!

2,442 Posts
I dunno which number it was. 42 maybe? It was a Sierra segmented with aluminum maple and monkey pod.

Looks like this...

Attachments

2,442 Posts
I just got an email from Capn Eddie requesting my address for my prize!! Too cool. I dont know where I placed, he just said in the top three. He said the video will be posted soon with the results!! Im stoked, I never win anything. Thank you to any of you that voted for my pen!! This is too cool!!

2,442 Posts
And heres the results. I placed second and won a box of pen blanks and sand paper!!

2,442 Posts
Wow, I must say I was really disappointed when I saw the top three. 2 out of the 3 blanks were store bought, not hard at all! Congrats to you though Bass Blaster, I think yours was the best!
Thanks.

I tend to agree with your disappointment. There were pens in that top 10 that I dont think should have been there and maybe even including mine. Mine most definately wasnt top 3. JT's pen in my opinion was the best of all the ones entered. I just dont think people knew what it took to create that blank. The one that placed 5th I also liked better then mine. There was also a watch part pen that didnt even make the top 10. I know the guy who makes those also sells the blanks so maybe it wasnt his pen, just a purchased blank. Hard telling. There should have been more rules but at the same time how would one go about regulating said rules? Im sure there were people who got everyone they knew to vote since anyone could cast a vote. Maybe one of the rules should have been that you had to of entered a pen to cast a vote and you couldnt vote for your own. It was a cool idea, it just could have been better.

2,442 Posts
Exactly -- it's the internet, synonymous with "unregulatable".

In the specific case of your pen ... even if you don't believe your pen is better than some of the others that placed behind you, would you agree that it stretched you way beyond anything you'd ever done before?

I think so, and I think that's worthy of recognition.
Absolutely it did. It stretched me to the point that if I hadnt contacted you and JT and asked questions, it never would have happened, lol. Thanks again!

2,442 Posts
First of all let me congratulate Dennis on the second place finish. Well deserved. Do not sell yourself short.

Now I will agree with you on a couple things. Most people and that includes seasoned turners do not know how much work goes into make a cool pen blank. I know of yours because I have done that design and the very thing that struck my eye when you first posted was the symatry and getting to layout well within the perameters of the pen kit. Not easy to do. Now how many people noticed that or even knew what it took to do that. I am sure not many.

The thing about the rules could have been better but hard to set things in stone without knowing there were no violations unless you were there. Did the person who won actually made the blank, I do not know but I am thinking they did or at least I am going on that assumption.

With contests like this, if it is judged by the public eye then what your goal is to make that WOW looking pen. The WOW factor plays an enormous roll as it does in other pen turning contests that are judged by our peers. But in those there is alot more knowledge as to the making of some of these blanks.

All in all take the contest for what it was and to me a publicity thing is the way I saw it. I just threw an entry in it for the fun. I really really do not need any more pen blanks so where Eddie gets that idea that every pen turner needs blanks is not true:yes:

Anyway it was fun and again congrats Bassman. Good job.
Yeah I agree!

I also dont "need" anymore pen blanks. I have enough on hand to keep me busy for a couple of years. Maybe hes sending something I dont have?? I cant have too much sand paper though!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.