Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself drawn to weird projects where I want to make a bunch of identical copies of things. Dominos are a good example. What is the ideal board size to eliminate waste and yield the max number of dominos for the least money, factoring in saw kerf, planing and jointing losses, etc.

I've done this in the past by hand, but it's becoming clear that I do it pretty often, so I'm wondering if there is software available to make this easy, or should I write some?

·
Learning the Hobby
14 Posts
I was looking at some software yesterday for this. If you have an ipad, there are a lot of good apps in the App Store if you search woodworking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have an iPad. Which app do you recommend for this sort of thing? I see a lot of choices.

·
Registered
532 Posts
A good way to keep kerf waste to a minimum if you're cutting a lot of parts is to use a band saw. Good blade, square fence and then a little clean-up with the jointer or a plane should keep you from losing a full 1/8 inch with each cut on the table saw.

·
Learning the Hobby
14 Posts
I haven't used any because I usually try to figure out that puzzle in my head (kind of nerdy). Just saw a few when I was looking for a calculator the other day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cutlist pro will give you a layout but you have to set up or input your boards etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does cutlist pro tell you how many pieces you can get from a board 8/4 board, stacked on width or edge, and which orientation is more efficient?

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
When working with wood you may be concerned with grain direction so it would be import for the computer applications to be able to take that into consideration. I don't know if they do or not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
trevarthan said:
I find myself drawn to weird projects where I want to make a bunch of identical copies of things. Dominos are a good example. What is the ideal board size to eliminate waste and yield the max number of dominos for the least money, factoring in saw kerf, planing and jointing losses, etc.

I've done this in the past by hand, but it's becoming clear that I do it pretty often, so I'm wondering if there is software available to make this easy, or should I write some?
You have any pictures of your dominos. Everyone likes pictures

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does cutlist pro tell you how many pieces you can get from a board 8/4 board, stacked on width or edge, and which orientation is more efficient?
It won't give you "stacks" but if you swap length for width etc. it will give you the optimum layout for any thickness (1/2" 4/4 8/4)of board you put into it's "inventory" and it does allow for rough cut, kerf, and final cuts. But it's all stuff you set up or tweak in the program. It has an option to rotate or not if you want the grain direction locked.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If I'm doing something in dimensional lumber I just make Excel into a grid and then make boxes for the parts and drag and drop until they all fit.

For random width boards I draw out the boards and then play the 'largest piece first' game...

I'm usually good with computers, but for these sorts of things inputting the information into the software takes longer than doing it by hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts