Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20yr old kitchen has cherry cabinets with a clear lacquer finish. Overall the cabinets are in great shape but the finish is worn near the sink and other high wear areas. The cabinets have also faded quite a bit so i would like them darkened a coulple shades so they match the inside of the door. I originally hired someone, who ensured me that he has done lots of this type of work to refinish them, but I am not satisfied with his quality of work on the sample door.

On the sample he lightly sanded and sprayed an oil based stain over the existing finish. He then followed that up with a poly top coat. My biggest complaint is the finish is not smooth and there are some fish eyes and other defects. Also, the areas where the lacquer was worn absorbed much more stain so they are significantly darker. Is he going to be able to get a good finish with this process or is it a lost cause?

After looking into it more, it seems that maybe a clear precat lacquer, or some other way to seal the damage bare wood areas, followed by a couple layers of tinted precat maybe the way to go. Do you guys agree or what do you recommend?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has already became a tough situation as I have expressed my disappointment in the quality of finish. He seems to think it looks fine which is concerning to me as the you can clearly see the defects. I'm not sure if I'm being to picky or if its just substandard work.

I am at the point where I can have him stop on the job as only 1 cabinet door has the poly coat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update...I let the guy go this morning and he picked up all his stuff and ran. I think he was kind of relieved actually. I'm out my deposit which is okay I guess because he did a lot of prep work and some other touch up stuff. Chalk it up to a learning process.

Anyways, the more I look at the cabinets the more I like the finish on the back of the doors where they havent been exposed to the sun. They are a really neat color and have a lot of depth to them. Is it feasible to strip the faces with a laquer thinner, stain and then lacquer the fronts. Will I be able to get the same color and depth or do you think the sun bleach that out never to be seen again.

Thanks, I appreciate all your input and feel better about my decision to let him go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.