Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28,490 Posts
The guy you hired doesn't have a clue what he's doing and I wouldn't let him do any more to your cabinets. You can't just lightly sand the finish on a lacquer finish and apply some more stain. The stain on the surface will prevent the topcoat from bonding. The old finish has to be completely stripped off with paint and varnish remover, then the wood sanded and then stained. The fisheye is a trivial problem which is caused by furniture polish. A wax and grease remover should have been used first but sometimes you can't get all the silicone off the wood. Then there is a additive you can add to the finish to make it flow out regardless of the silicone. I use Smoothie. It's available at automotive paint stores. More than likely the old finish was done with a nitrocellulose lacquer. It isn't the best thing to put a pre-catalyzed lacquer over the nitrocellulose. The pre-catalyzed lacquer is a better finish for your cabinets but for a recoat I would use nitrocellulose lacquer. If the old finish is completely stripped off then the wood should be sealed with a vinyl sealer and then topcoated with the pre-catalyzed lacquer. These finishes are available at Sherwin Williams. Some stores will have to special order it but that usually only takes a couple of days.

·
Registered
28,490 Posts
Lacquer thinner is too liquid and would be too hard to control. I would take the doors off the cabinets and use Kleen Strip paint and varnish remover. It's a lot thicker than lacquer thinner and will strip much better. With what you have planned I would just use the stripper on the face of the doors and use a sander to take the finish off the edges. That way you are not as likely to get the remover on the back of the door. Just follow the instructions except rinse with lacquer thinner on a rag. It would help with the fisheye to wash the cabinets and doors down with DuPont prepsol solvent prior to stripping. It will cut much of the silicone off so perhaps won't give you too much trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.