Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting together a base cabinet but am having trouble with the face of a larger drawer. The face is not sitting flush with the frame. The cabinet itself looks tweaked by the slides somewhat, as you can see in the pictures. I think the drawer guides need more adjustment. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
29,385 Posts
Since you are there and we are not, you will be the best judge of what's twisted or needs to be adjusted. Pictures tell us what's wrong, but not why. If the drawer face and the cabinet frame are not flush, you can best find out what's stopping the drawer from traveling in fully. OR if it's just one corner, the drawer itself may be twisted? Adjusting the front of one rail up or down will tip that side in or out, if that's what it needs?

Check to see if the slide rails are parallel with the bottom of the case by using a block of equal height under the slides. That will tell you right off what's causing the issue if they are not parallel.

·
Registered
27,554 Posts
As best as I can tell from the picture the drawer slides are not installed far enough into the cabinet. Just generally, inset drawers take a lot of tinkering to get them set right. Sometimes the drawer box can be out of square a little and you end up having to shim where it fits on the front to make work right.

·
Registered
706 Posts
In addition to the comments above, in the 4th picture it looks like the top of that drawer box is tipped inward. The slides on that drawer need to be adjusted as they are not perpendicular to the face frame.

·
Registered
yacht woodworker
502 Posts
The slides need to be set in deeper (towards the back) by 1/8" or so. The top of the drawer front is set into the frame, which means the back of the drawer glides needs to come up. There should be ovaled mounting holes in the back of the side rails that mount to the cabinet box. I'd only have one screw in the front and one in the back in the vertical oval hole. Tweak until it's right or close. Then add more screws to lock it in place. If the drawer is operating well but it's not quite right, AND if it's sitting inside (not proud), then insert shims between the drawer front and the box until it's in plane. Once I get the shims figured out, I'll usually lock them in place with some double sided tape between the shim and the drawer box to make sure they stay put. Normally the fronts come back off for finishing and I don't want to redo the shim work.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
It looks to me like the drawer is tilted back and you're slide inset maybe off.

Check slides for square to the front, equal distance from bottom, and equal insets.

Check the rails on the drawers for proper placement up/down and fore/aft.

Use the elongated holes in the slides to allow for tweaking, then do the final screwing.

Another issue that can make drawers go wonky is a box out of square. This can be remedied by shimming the slides so they square to the front.

The way I usually mount those slides is set the slide on top of a spacer, mount. Do not mount the drawer rail on the drawer, leave it on the slide. Again, using spacers, set the drawer between the slides with about 3" protruding, then slide the drawer rail out of the slide, and screw to drawer.

Pull the drawer out incrementally, screwing the drawer rail at intervals. But sure the drawer does not tilt.

Works well for me!

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,986 Posts
Hopefully you haven't worn out all the available screw holes where they're screwed in. That can be a problem so get yourself a nice long piece of dowel rod if they are and fill em back up and start over.. I've been down this road a few times..not fun, but it usually works..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts