Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to make my own cabinet doors. Some Raised panel solid wood and some MDF Raised panel doors. Can any one help me with making some jigs, router, tips or tricks so that i dont have to spend to much money on machines.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are going with router. Then the pattern cuts are pretty straight forward,,, using a set of "Fingers" at the infeed and out-feed or top can help .

For the cope:
A miter Gage with a wooden back fence it fine,, fence is long enough to be coped by the bit (for splinter blowout insurance),, miter Gage need not be real far from the bit .
You can make a shop made always at deg Gage also.
If you are a shop or are doing allot of them,, then a jig to hold the stick with a hand lever clamp is very nice (I'll shoot a pic of one,,, they are helpful with small or lightweight pieces also)
jim

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rail & Stile construction

The best advice I have to offer is to bite the bullet early and dedicate to routers to this function. Set 1 up with the coping bit and set the other up with the rip bit. Spend an hour or so to fine tune the depth setting and then lock them in for posterity. You will appreciate the investment the next time you need to make some doors. Just run the cross grain cuts (cope), then, pop out the router and drop the other machine into the table and run the rips. Perfectly matched joints everytime.

A tip I use on the rip cuts which sometime tend to chip out is to cut the blanks about 1/8" wider than the finished size, run them through the tool with no regard to the chipout. Set the rip fence on the table saw and trim to finished width on the machined side and then run through the router once more for the final cut.

AND ALWAYS do the cope cuts first.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Raised Panels

I produced my first raised panels with a router but considered that quite a side load on a router so I purchased a used shaper and mounted a panel raising bit and back cutter on it and threw the wrenches away. The only time this will have the tool removed is to replace it with a new one. I have since purchased a smaller, used shaper and mounted a cutter for easing the edges of doors and drawer faces. Once again, the wrenches have been tossed. In my opinion, my time is better spent in making furniture than in adjusting tools. Makes my time in the shop much more productive with a very small investment.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am starting to make my own cabinet doors. Some Raised panel solid wood and some MDF Raised panel doors. Can any one help me with making some jigs, router, tips or tricks so that i dont have to spend to much money on machines.
A shaper is hard to beat, but if you're limited to tools, consider
raised panels on the table saw.
With the right set-up it does a heck of a job.
I used to do them that way a lot.:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts