Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on making my first raised panel doors. I din't have any raised panel bits yet and I don't quite understand all the options available. I made the medicine cabinet doors but I used mortise and tenon joints and rabbets for the mirrors.
I've read about cope and stick router bit sets, rail and stile sets, and just single raised panel bits. I'm really confused about all the options. If you were just starting out, which option would you choose?
And also, I've read where some use plywood for the panel. But if you would use a raised panel bit on plywood, wouldn't the plys show through? Thanks in advance for any light you might shine for me.
Jim

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Any recommended sets? I like whiteside and freud but am open to any recommendations. Part numbers would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Plywood can be used for raised panels

Are you referring to plywood with solid wood added? Using the plywood for the interior of the panel, and not actually profiling the plywood? Do you mean adding ripped, mitered, glued, clamped, flushed, pieces of solid wood, to the perimeter of the plywood panel where the profiling will be done on solid wood and not the plywood? Interesting. Got any pics? :smile:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Are you referring to plywood with solid wood added? Using the plywood for the interior of the panel, and not actually profiling the plywood? Do you mean adding ripped, mitered, glued, clamped, flushed, pieces of solid wood, to the perimeter of the plywood panel where the profiling will be done on solid wood and not the plywood? Interesting. Got any pics? :smile:
I'll have to check all my random pictures, I have many, but this one is handy but not very clear. It's a commercial bar. You can see the edging is different than the panel. You can enlarge the picture with a desktop or a laptop by holding down the "control" key, and pressing the roller wheel on your mouse forward.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
It's a commercial bar. You can see the edging is different than the panel.
Nice Bar.

I'm using a 32" monitor and it is still not clear, but I think I get your drift. Did you get mine? :smile:

·
Registered
697 Posts
I would get a matched set.They also come with shims for slight descrepencies.Make sure they have a 1/2" shank and you have a large table mounted router.I started out using a 3 1/2 hp porter cable router nefore I could afford shapers.I have also made many raised panel doors in the old days using nothing but a table saw.Making the frames on the TS with mortise and tenons and then running the panels thru the blade on edge with the blade tilting then making to cuts with the blade at 90 for the shoulder cuts .

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Generally when talking about plywood panels for doors it is 1/4" plywood for flat panels, not raised panels. Running a raised panel knife on plywood is really abrasive to the router bit and would prematurely wear it out. The glue line in the veneer tends to cut a groove in the router bit. As far as the different coping and sticking sets, there are different profiles as there are different router bits for different molding. You just have to pick the profile which appeals to you. It's the same thing with the bit for the panels, there are several different designs available. I've seen sets on ebay which have the complete package, the coping, sticking and panel bit so all you would need is a bit for the outside edge of the door after it is built.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I will start looking for a set.
Mdntrdr, apparently my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. Sorry.
I think I will just go with solid wood and raise the panel. If I don't buy a set, I'll just buy a raised panel bit and do mortise and tenon for the frame.

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
What kind of raised panel profile are you looking for? There are ways to do raised panels on the tablesaw, If you don't want to buy a bit. Search" tablesaw raised panel" on YouTube and you will get the idea.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had read about raised panels on the table saw, but I'm looking for more of a radius type profile. I've been looking at sets and now I'm really confused. I am looking a Freud sets, 5 piece cabinetmakers set, but there are so many choices 94-100, 94-150, 94-blah blah blah. It is very hard to do a comparison when you have never used them before. Some sets have different raised panel profiles and widths, some have different rail profiles, etc. even the Freud site doesn't have a sise by side comparison chart. I found a Freud 94-100 on ebay for $189 and I guess I'll just get it and hope for the best. I asked the seller if the raised panel bit was the quadra-cut but he never answered. Oh well.
Thanks for all the input.
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts