Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, new here and had a question about cabinets design maybe i could get some help with.

Ive built a few melamine frameless cabinets and am looking into making some more.
Each time I have made my doors I have to think about my overlay and how wide i should make my doors. For some reason I always come up short and end up having to make new doors because the euro hinge wont extend far enough.

Id like to stick with 1/2 overlay hinges and if so, is there a formula or standard i can use for my double and single doors widths in comparison to my ID of my cabinet? I know if i use 2 verticle stiles between each set of doubles its just +7/8" but if i use just 1 verticle style for 2 doors what would my doors be?

Thanks

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

The relationship of how the hinge allows the door to sit on the face is dependent on the outside dimensions of the opening. In many brands of hinges, you can get the "overlay" desired by a certain hinge and mounting plate, or using a combination of hinge/plate to change the amount of overlay, or the degrees of opening.

For example, lets say you want a 110 degree opening of the door. Well, there is a hinge that is specifically designed for that need. The mounting plate for that hinge may be available in different thicknesses, such as 0 mm, 9 mm or 18 mm. FYI: 3 mm = about 1/8". So if you used a full overlay hinge, and wanted to change the overlay to half, you could change the mounting plate from a 0 mm to a 9 mm, which moves the hinge side of the door 3/8" away from the the hinged edge. If you use a three way adjustable hinge/plate combo, intermediate adjustments become easy.

I don't know if I explained it clearly, but here is a layout of the three basic types of door/hinge configurations.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow i always thought the mm was refering to the euro hinge specifically not the plate. So if a 3mm plate is 1/8" then I could actually make a 1/4" overlay by getting a 12mm plate?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I see where Ive been going wrong. Ive been using 1/2 overlay assuming it was 1/2" but from what Im gathering it is 1/2 of 3/4 = 3/8".

I also thought it was the overlay in refereance to the id of the cabinet and not the od. so 3/8 has been what I considerd 5/8. This definetly explains why my doors have been coming out short. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Frank,

I went to Rockler and bought thier cabinet door software for $25.00. Punch in your opening, how much of an overlay you want and it will give you a complete cut list. It came in very handy for my entertainment center

1 - 5 of 5 Posts