Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got this cabinet that they want inset bead board doors put on. I have to take out the middle face frame to make it work. The opening is 33 inch wide by 49 inch tall. The doors will go from bottom to the top shelf. The face frame on the sides are fluted so that's why going with inset.

Trying to figure out how wide to make doors so there is even space around them. Any help would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok just got off the phone with her and talked her into 4 doors like Cabinetman shows. Will be easier for me, npw to measure right for space around the doors and planning on using the smaller blum hidden hinges.

What would you leave for space?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Ok just got off the phone with her and talked her into 4 doors like Cabinetman shows. Will be easier for me, npw to measure right for space around the doors and planning on using the smaller blum hidden hinges.

What would you leave for space?
If you want these inset, they will fit inside the openings, not on top of the openings. What is the exact height and width of both the top door and bottom door openings?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If you make sure your openings are square - take the measurements very carefully and make your doors The exact size of the hole and gradually make them fit properly. You need to be patient to do it right and I'm sure others will chime in to give you a different method - and we may all be correct - choose which method works best for you.

I say make the door to fit the opening to make sure all your measurements (opening and doors) are square. Once I get my doors to fit tightly, I start shaving them down 1/8 of an inch at a time and try fitting the door after every correction. I like to use Popsicle or craft sticks and when I can fit a stick on the bottom, top, and both sides, between the door and casing, I'm almost home. Your goal should be 3/16 on all 4 sides and the batch of craft sticks I bought are 1/8 inch thick. My last step is to fit 2 layers of veneer on top of the sticks and I have my 3/16th inch clearance on all sides. Some folks will use the same method but substitute a US mint quarter. Others will use a whole different approach.

That being said - I'm not a pro at this stuff. I have never sold anything I've made. I took an early retirement 4 years ago and I've made lots of things and given it all away - but folks admire my work and my method works for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.