Woodworking Talk banner

Cabinet Door Issue

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cabinetman 
It may be salvagable but you need first to find out what the problems is. I know the doors don't fit but the cabinet may be twisted the opposite direction the door is. I would take the door off of the cabinet and lay it on a flat surface like the cast top of a table saw to establish if the door is the problem. If it is the door you might be able to strip the finish off of it and while wet twist the door to flat and let dry. If the cabinet is part of the problem sometimes you can adjust the legs to twist it back to square. It just takes a lot of tinkering.

Steve,

I've placed a flat edge against the stile and found the door to be the issue. so the only real option is take it off the cabinet, strip the finish, wet the stile, and try to shape it flat presumably by clamping it to my work bench. is that the correct interpretation?

Before I do that, I'm hoping for other "ideas" that help me to trick it visually when it's closed.

Cabinetman...would the sliding barrel bolt I mentioned be an acceptable mechanical touch latch in your mind?
For the most part when I encounter a door that fits like that is on a antique piece of furniture. Usually it was in my shop to be refinished anyway so after stripping the finish the residue was rinsed with water and dripping wet. At that time I would clamp it on my work bench twisting it slightly the opposite direction and just let it dry. 9 times out of 10 the door fit perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.