Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to build my first set of real cabinets for my shop. I say real cabinets because I recently built a router table with drawers that turned out great but this is my first cabinet build. Does anybody have any good online resources for someone new to cabinet building? Also could use suggestions on a good set of rail and stile router bits or even a good cabinetmaking bit set. Other than that I think I have all the tools I need.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'm about to build my first set of real cabinets for my shop. I say real cabinets because I recently built a router table with drawers that turned out great but this is my first cabinet build. Does anybody have any good online resources for someone new to cabinet building? Also could use suggestions on a good set of rail and stile router bits or even a good cabinetmaking bit set. Other than that I think I have all the tools I need.
Your good online resource is this forum. When you have some idea of exactly what you want to do, you can get all the help you need. You'll likely get different opinions on how to make the boxes, and the different types of looks.

What did you have in mind...face framed, or frameless?

Wood grained finish, or painted?

What type of door...slab, raised panel, flat panel?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
It's going in the shop so nothing fancy. Planned on face framed painted with raised panel doors.
I would first take all my measurements and do a supplemental cabinet layout. Do a floor plan which is looking down on top of them. Draw the bottom cabinets, and draw a dotted line for any uppers.

Then do an elevation drawing, which is like looking at them from the front. On these drawings figure out the divisions of the boxes, and try to keep an overall width for a single cabinet with no doors or a pair to 32" or less. For a single cabinet you don't want a door that is too wide.

The drawing does't have to be a fancy one, a rough sketch will do. If you get energetic, you could do it to scale, and if you do, I would use ½" = 1'-0", as a scale. It's large enough to get some detail and dimensions.

·
Registered
26,989 Posts
I would just build the cabinets like kitchen cabinets except for a shop I would put a lot more drawers in them. A formica counter top can be purchased cheap and works good. Unless you plan to go into the business I would buy a cheap door set off ebay. You can get them that have the complete set including the panel raise bit or buy the panel raise bit seperate. They will work as well as the expensive sets but wouldn't do as well for volume a business would have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I said shop cabinets but these are for a kitchen in the shop just to clarify. Still nothing fancy though. Just to give an idea, the walls are painted osb. This will be a fish fry, oyster steaming, Frogmore stew cooking man kitchen. I'm trying to find a used free stading oven/stove but haven't had much luck yet. I wanted to get that first before i built the cabinets but I'm growing impatient. Are free standing oven/stoves a standard height? Width isn't a problem because I will only be building the cabinet on the right side of the stove for now. So if I do cabinets sitting directly on the concrete floor how high does the cabinet need to be. I picked out a premade laminate countertop from lowes just to keep it simple. So the height needs to be less that thickness.

·
Registered
26,989 Posts
Sorry I said shop cabinets but these are for a kitchen in the shop just to clarify. Still nothing fancy though. Just to give an idea, the walls are painted osb. This will be a fish fry, oyster steaming, Frogmore stew cooking man kitchen. I'm trying to find a used free stading oven/stove but haven't had much luck yet. I wanted to get that first before i built the cabinets but I'm growing impatient. Are free standing oven/stoves a standard height? Width isn't a problem because I will only be building the cabinet on the right side of the stove for now. So if I do cabinets sitting directly on the concrete floor how high does the cabinet need to be. I picked out a premade laminate countertop from lowes just to keep it simple. So the height needs to be less that thickness.
The stoves are made for 36" high counter tops but have adjustable leg levelers to fine tune it. They come in 30" & 36" in width if you need to figure the size for a hood cabinet above. I normally make my base cabinets 35 1/4" tall so it is about 36" with the top on it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Stoves are overwhelmingly 30 inches...36 inch do exist, as do 40,42,48 and 60 inch units.

Fridge openings should be 37x72 minimum. Preferably 37x 73.

Dishwashers are 24....no extra width needed here...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts