Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to try and build a basic cabinet. I also want it to have 2 or 3 drawers instead of doors. Could someone provide some "idiot proof" instructions or a link to some? I did a search but not much luck.

Thanks

· Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve Neul said:
There are too many unknowns. Do you want a commercial look that has slab doors that cover the front of the cabinet or a more residential look with a faceframe. A rough sketch of what you want it to look like would help as well as the kind of wood you would like to use.
I am wanting a basic kitchen cabinet like what I would get at Lowes. My thoughts were to build it from Birch 3/4 plywood and then use dimensional lumber to frame the front.

Attachments

· Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments.

I planned on face frames primarily cause all the kitchen cabinets with drawers use them so I thought it'd be required. I'm not set on this. This cabinet will be used for my wife's sewing area and the drawers will likely hold a lot if weight, so structural strength is very important.

As for height, the height of the cabinet will be 27-27.5" as I already have a heavy duty 1" office counter that will be going on it. That will allow for a working height for me wife of 28-28.5", which is perfect for her height while working in a chair.

This cabinet will also sit on carpet for now, but eventually floor tile or hardwood flooring.

At this point, some of my big concerns are:
- what's the best order to cut parts
- how do I join pieces? Dados?
- if I use face frames, how do I secure drawer slides to sides when there's a gap?

Thanks again!!!

· Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RRBROWN, thanks again. If I get a chance to get in the garage I will start the layout. A few other things to finish first as this project is on my wish list mainly to see if I can. If I'm successful I'd like to do some for my garage as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.